Research project: Information sharing in online groups for autistic people — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research project: Information sharing in online groups for autistic people

Options
Suzanne4
Suzanne4 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in Research and opportunities

Hello,

I’m a PhD student at the University of Sheffield, researching autistic people's experiences of using online groups for finding and sharing information. I hope that my study will raise awareness of autistic people’s information needs, and things they find helpful or unhelpful when using online groups and accessing information generally in a range of situations.

I’m looking for autistic adults (aged 18 and over) who are based in the UK and who have some experience of using online autism groups (including autism forums and Reddit / Discord / Facebook autism groups). This includes people who are either self-identified or professionally diagnosed as autistic / being on the autism spectrum. It also includes people who use groups just by reading what is there, as well as those who write posts.

Taking part will involve a small number of email exchanges to answer some interview questions about your experiences of using online groups, and how these experiences compare to other situations. (Alternatively, an online video interview could be arranged if you prefer). People vary in how long it takes to complete the interview by email, but on average it takes about an hour of time in total, which can be split up and done over a period of 1 -2 weeks, at your own pace. Participation will be completely confidential and anonymised. Everyone who takes part will receive a £30 online shopping voucher (either Amazon or Love2Shop) as a thank you.

If you are interested in taking part, there is a link here that leads to a web page with full details about the research:

https://sites.google.com/sheffield.ac.uk/onlineinformationsharingstudy/home 

The web page also has a consent form if you want to go ahead and sign up to take part (I'd be very grateful if anyone does!).

Thank you for your time reading this.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.