If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is lily7!

Options
lily7
lily7 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My daughter is moving from dla to pip , I’m her appointee . I filled in the forms last October and today got a text for a telephone assessment for later this month . My daughter suffers with adhd and extreme anxiety low mood , suicidal tendencies and autism. Not only does she have to miss school that morning for the assessment she’s also so worked up for this appointment she’s refusing to have the telephone assessment . What can I do 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm no expert and I'm sure others will advise bur as you are her appointee then I think you can speak on her behalf for the assessment 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @lily7

Thank you for reaching out to the community and for sharing your story. We really appreciate you being so honest and open with us. 

It sounds as if your daughter is finding the current situation very stressful and I'm sorry to hear that. Firstly, is your daughter seeking medical support for her mental health? Is her GP aware of her mental health concerns? I'm going to post a few resources below with regards to PIP assessments/mental health, which I think will be helpful for you and your daughter. Sometimes when we can feel more prepared, that can ease some of the anxiety in relation to the unpredictability of assessments and potential questions that might be asked during it etc.

Are you aware that you can be on the call during your daughter's assessment too? Citizens Advice state that
    If you’re worried about being assessed over the phone, you can have someone aged 16 or over on the call with you. They can take part in discussions and take notes.
    Is this something that you think your daughter might want and will potentially help her anxiety in relation to the telephone assessment?

Please see some further resources that might also be useful for you both:
    I hope you find the above useful and please do keep us updated on the process. If you have any other questions or concerns, then just let us know :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • lily7
    Options
    Libby_scope thank you . 
    Yes her go is aware of her issues , she’s is on medication , she get regular help through her adhd dr too . 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,168 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are her official appointee arranged by DWP and all letters you receive are addressed to you then you will be able to speak on her behalf during the assessment. Although they will expect your daughter to be there during the assesment, even if it's by phone because they may want to speak to her briefly, even if it's just to "say hello."
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lily7

How are you and your daughter getting on?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • lily7
    Options
    Just had the telephone assessment.  It wasn’t as nerve wracking as expected. I was allowed to talk on my daughters behalf as im acting on her behalf, my daughter was present on the call which she was given the opportunity to talk too and help explain her condition. I do feel as though it was a bit rushed which I asked to go back a few things that was missed out . The questions asked did seem to be fair and in line with mental health related issues which I was pleased about . 
    Was advised it may take up to 8 weeks for a outcome . 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.