If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip- assessment done by a measure management employee?

Options
Cath_123
Cath_123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all.i had a pip review last year and was awarded till 2024,but received a letter for a phone assessment on 15 march it took an hour and half,he told me a thousand people had been picked for this assessment,but I noticed this was done by a measure management employee not a health professional.do any body know what this means plz.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Cath_123 and welcome to the community. Thanks for posting your query, I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to answer it directly. Do you know when you'll hear more about the outcome of the assessment?

I've marked your post as unanswered to help our members share their thoughts with you. If there's anything further we can help with, please do let us know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,131 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @Cath_123 good afternoon and a warm welcome to scope, I'm not aware of 1000 people being picked for such an assessment, maybe someone else has?
    Many assessors aren't health professionals, but are trained in assessing.

[Moderator note: This post has been corrected and further explained later in the thread]

2024 Election won

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Just to point out, assessors are healthcare professionals: 

This document sets out the processes to be followed by providers to ensure Health Professionals (HPs) carrying out Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessments meet the required performance standards, including the requirements around competencies, training, approval audit and complaint handling.
    Health Professional Competencies
    All HPs recruited for the delivery of PIP assessments (or any parts of these) must meet the following requirements:
    • Be an occupational therapist, nurse, physiotherapist, paramedic or doctor
    • Be fully registered with the relevant licensing body (doctors must have a licence to practise)
    • Have no sanctions attached to registration unless they relate to disability. In individual cases, this requirement may be wavered subject to prior written agreement with DWP
    • Have at least 2 years post full registration experience (this refers to either UK registration or equivalent overseas registration for non-UK HPs) or less than 2 years post full registration experience by individual, prior, written agreement with the Department

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm afraid I don't know about these 1000 selected for review also you said it was 15th March it's only the 6th today? 

Did you fill in any review forms prior to the phone assessment,  they normally review 6 months b4 your award ends so seems very strange especially with the huge backlogs they have currently.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi @MarkM88 thanks for sharing the document above, just for clarity for the original poster, it comes from the PIP assessment guide part 3: health professional performance on the GOV.uk website.

This is also mentioned on the Citizens Advice page on PIP assessments, which states:

"A health professional will carry out your assessment - they'll write a report and send it to the DWP."

@woodbine could you explain how you came by this information, as it's not accurate?

@Cath_123 did you mean to write 15th March, or did you mean 15th March last year?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Let me explain it a different way, most assessors will have no experience in how a given disability affects you/me/us.

And the final decision made by a DWP DM will have no medical experience.

2024 Election won

• Cath_123
    Options
    janer1967 said:

I'm afraid I don't know about these 1000 selected for review also you said it was 15th March it's only the 6th today? 

Did you fill in any review forms prior to the phone assessment,  they normally review 6 months b4 your award ends so seems very strange especially with the huge backlogs they have currently.
    Yes I did fill out the renewal form in June 2021 was renewed til 2024,ihad the phone assessment on the 15 march 2022,and he told me that a 1000 claimant's were chosen for this phone assessment and he would send the information back to dwp.i know it's not long and it's not about the wait although it has made me very worried as I've not heard of anyone else having this,I did ask him how long it would take and he said ,well you still have 12 points for mobility and 10 points for daily care .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cath_123 said:
    janer1967 said:

ihad the phone assessment on the 15 march 2022

Do you mean 15th March 2021? because 15th March 2022 hasn't arrived yet, it's only 7th March 2022 today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cath_123
    Options
    Sorry was meant to put 15 February 2022
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @woodbine, Thank you for clarifying that point about health care professionals/assessors, it’s much appreciated.

@Cath_123 thank you for confirming those dates, I can understand why you’re a little worried, given that you don’t know much information about the assessment. Have you heard anymore about the assessment from the DWP? I realise that you only had it around a month ago, but I do hope you hear something soon.

Also, I have removed some posts from this thread due to them conflicting with the community house rules and I would like to remind people of the ‘keep it friendly’ policy that we like our community members to engage with on the platform.

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Absolutely disgraceful moderation. Your allowing inaccurate information!!!!!! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,393 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @MarkM88. I'm sorry you're disappointed but we're not "allowing inaccurate information". Woodbine's point has been corrected by yourself and Alex, and Woodbine has then clarified their meaning. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • MarkM88
    Options
    He has not though. His clarification has nothing to do with what he originally said. They are both completely separate areas of the assessment and decision making process. Therefore woodbines comment could be read by someone and think it’s accurate. That’s not fair on anyone. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,191 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The community house rules also say,
    ''Always check that information is correct and appropriate.''
    One moderator says some info given was inaccurate, the next removes a comment correcting the inaccurate statement saying, ''keep it friendly.''
    Please decide if you want a 'friendly' community where absolutely anything can be said without correction, or not.

• MarkM88
    Options
    Good point also. Which is why moderation needs overhauled. Especially when the whole team contradict each other. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One question that op asked What is a measure management employee ? 
    Does anyone know the answer to help the op and myself understand 

Would be more helpful 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,393 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm not sure there has been any contradiction. The information has been corrected, twice. And then clarified further. It's also a commonly held belief and discussing it rather than deleting it can be more productive all round. 
    The 'keep it friendly' rule is a side issue. I don't think that we can only have an accurate community or a friendly one. Our aim is to have both. Comments were removed because they were unfriendly, off-topic, and broke the house rules. Correcting or challenging someone isn't an issue, the manner in which these corrections or challenges are made persistently is.

That's a really good question @janer1967. I haven't heard of it before and have been unable to find any more information. 

@cath_123: letter you received for this review, was it just the same as a regular PIP review letter? Were you asked to fill out another form at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    Options
    MarkM88 said:
    Good point also. Which is why moderation needs overhauled. Especially when the whole team contradict each other. 
    The "whole"team do their best, have you ever been involved in moderating a forum @MarkM88 it's not as easy as it looks  :)  :)

2024 Election won

• MarkM88
    Options
    @woodbine actually yes, from the age of 25 to 28 I moderated the forums of a very large national organisation and coordinated the service user strategy and development of service user involvement. So I know a thing or two. 

Please don’t assume you know everything about me and try to put across what I have to say is not appropriate. 

There is lots of room for improvement here but it never seems to be taken on board. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    I don't assume to know anything about you, why would I ?
    There is always room for improvement in everything, I would disagree that it never seems to be taken on board, that is unfair to scope and the people who work so hard to keep this forum as friendly and informative as it is.

But I have precisely no intention of getting dragged into another argument with you, or for that matter anyone. The rules quite clearly say "keep it friendly" thats good advice.

2024 Election won

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.