Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Phone assessment tomorrow

Options
lou51
lou51 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited March 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Right now I'm in bits just counting down to my appointment in the morning. Fortunately it's at 9am so not waiting all day for it. 
I think I'm prepared, I've written some notes of what I want to say.

Reading through them though I'm doubting myself and thinking I just sound pathetic and useless and the assessor will just think I'm lazy because of the things I struggle with. 

I know it's my anxiety getting the better of me, right now I'm laid in my bed paralysed with worry and the fear of tomorrow. I just wish it was over with.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to ramble about it I think.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try not to get worked up about it the majority of assessors are really kind and supportive and should put you at ease 

They do this all the time and are used to people being anxious 

They won't think your lazy and certainly shouldn't give that impression 

Good luck let us know how it goes and just think by this time tomorrow it will be done 
  • lou51
    Options
    Yes you're both right, thanks for trying to calm me. Anxiety is my main health problem along with difficulty hearing. I'm stressing also at having to ask her to keep repeating herself, that always makes me feel stupid.
    I will have my mum with me though so I know she will be my ears if I'm struggling.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Glad your mum will be there to support you 

Have a rest , read a book or watch some TV take your mind off it 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Good luck for your appointment tomorrow @lou51 :) 

It's completely understandable to feel nervous and somewhat anxious about situations that we can't necessarily control. However, it sounds as though you've prepared a lot for the appointment, which is amazing, and I'm sure it will be reflected in the appointment tomorrow. 

You can ramble as much as you like on the community and we will be here to listen. Take some time tonight to really try and relax and do things that you know will make you feel happy and calm :)

Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Make sure your phone is fully charged if you're using a mobile. Have a drink next to you incase it's needed. If you don't understand the questions ask then ask them to repeat it.
    Try not to answer with just a yes or no and give as much detail as possible.
    They may not ring exactly on time so be aware of that also. Assessment time can be anything from 20-120 minutes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lou51
    Options
    Thank you Libby yes I'm trying to relax, going to put some soothing music on and try and do some crochet tonight. That should make me sleepy then I can get an early night.
    I'll update how it went tomorrow, thanks again.
  • lou51
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456, that's good advice. Keeping my fingers crossed it's not as long as 120 minutes.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks for some great tips @poppy123456 :)

Sounds as though you're doing everything that you can to feel relaxed tonight, and that's great @lou51 :) crochet is a great mindful activity, if you ever get the chance to upload a picture, I'd love to see some of your work/designs!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • lou51
    Options
    Thanks @Libby_Scope I will have to dig out some photos.

Well the assessment is done! I'm feeling like it didn't go well but I shall of course await the outcome.

I felt a little rushed in my answers and don't think I got across what I needed to say.

Also I could sense a bit of impatience when I couldn't hear clearly and had to keep asking her to repeat, although to be fair that could just be my paranoia.

The assessment lasted for 1 hour but at least it's over now.

I need to sleep now as I didn't get much last night.

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement. Take care 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    People often think it didn’t go well because it’s easy to over think things. The majority of people claim PIP successfully with no Problems.
    At the moment it’s impossible to predict anything.
    Decision waiting times are between 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lou51
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456

Yes I now need to put it to the back of my mind, at least the assessment it over and I no longer have to dread it. 

The assessor said around 6 -8 weeks for decision so I shall try to be patient in my waiting.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @lou51,

Please do, would love to see them!

A big well done for completing the assessment this morning. I know how anxious you were feeling before the assessment, so you should be very proud of yourself for completing it. 

I think after any form of assessment, we always feel as though we could have done more, but it's important to focus on the positives too, as I'm sure you mentioned some really important and meaningful information. 

A big sleep sounds like a great idea and make sure you take some time for yourself today :) 

Please keep us updated on the outcome and we will speak to you soon.

Libby
    Scope

• lou51
    Options
    Thank you @Libby_Scope

I've had a bit of a sleep, just having a brew then back to bed for me. This morning has really taken it out of me.

Had a text about hour ago from DWP saying they now have my report and decision be up to 8 weeks.

I'm now debating with myself whether to request the report so that I'll have a basic idea which way the decision will go. 

Rock and hard place springs to mind as my anxiety and mental health will take a turn whether I get the report now or not but at least if I have it and it's not looking good, I can begin preparing for mandatory reconsideration.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Requesting the report affects a lot of people in a lot of ways and anxiety being the biggest issue. Even if you don't usually suffer with anxiety it can affect you. Especially if it's not what you were expecting. We have a lot of threads here with members being very upset and full of anxiety because of the report they received.
    If the worst happens, you don't need the report to request the MR.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you feeling today @lou51? Did you manage to get some sleep? I hope that you feel able to relax a bit more now :)

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• LOwens
    LOwens Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Lou51 please keep us informed I did my phone assessment on Friday 11th and just like you I got so overwhelmed with anxiety i also felt that I haven’t said or done enough. I’m still yet to receive the text message to say they have received the report off of the assessor I really hate the waiting game also doing nothing for my anxiety and I do think that it has also impacted my physical health as ive not been well the last few days 😓. Hope your ok and please keep us informed on your journey sending you lots of positive thoughts xxx 
  • lou51
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been online for a while. I've been really struggling. I think today I'm feeling a little stronger so hopefully I'm getting to a better place in my head. I'm really grateful for all your kind words and for checking on me. I will of course let you know when I have some news. I'll be glad when I know what's what x
  • lou51
    Options
    Got my decision letter today. Not good news. Only 4 pts on daily living and 0 on mobility. I know I have to fight it but at the moment I just feel broken.
    DWP have made me feel like a useless, worthless lying waste of space.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you request the MR you should put this in writing stating where any why you think you should have scored those points.
    When you filled out the form did you put a couple of real world incidents of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you?If you didn't then you should do this for the MR. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the conseqences were.
    You may also want to get some expert advice to check if you can score enough points needed for an award. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• janer1967
    Options
    Hi 

Sorry about your PIP decision I know it's not easy but try and not 5ake it personally you are not useless or a liar 

Take a few days to gather your thoughts before you start the mr so you are doing your best job with it and not taking out your frustration 

Good luck 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.