Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Can they do this (ESA)? Change my payment day with no notice?

Options
PabloCarbone118
PabloCarbone118 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello, I've just found this forum after having yet another full day of problems and stress with the DWP and running out of places and people to turn to or ask for help 

Basically, yesterday I was officially told I would get paid on the 8th March (today) and when I found out nothing had gone in this morning, u phoned back and it's suddenly changed to fri and nothing today. The problem is that when they told me, clearly, that I was getting paid today thought I could rely on it and borrowed money from friends, based on me being able to pay back today!

Nightmare!

Cheers 

James 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,990 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    It depends. If it’s a recent new claim and it’s your first payment then you’ll usually receive your ESA on the same day each fortnight. Your payment day is determined by the last 2 digits of your NI number. 
    If its backdated money owed then it can be paid any day but payment usually takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank from the day it’s paid. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
    Thanks poppy, yes that's what they've told me, and yes it's a new claim backdated. 

My issue is that surely they can't give me a firm amount and day, and then just change it on me with 0 days notice and get me in trouble!?!
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Who offically told you that you would receive your money today? Was it someone you spoke to on the phone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
    The automated robot woman, but she said, clearly, "you will get paid 149 pounds on 8th March" No if or buts or maybes, and I relied on it
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then clearly they were wrong. Once payment is made it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank and backdated money can be received on any day. I see nothing wrong here other than you were informed the incorrect day.
    Future payments will be made fortnightly.
    It's only a few extra days and i'm sure you're friend will understand if you explain.
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
    I was hoping i might get some sort of special circumstances advance payment or something , based on the fact that it's their fault and they've got me in the **** 
    But it is what it is m, by the look of it, and I'll just have to tell people Friday instead. Could be worse to be fair 👍
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm afraid that's not going to happen because the money that's owed to you has been paid, you just need to wait for the funds to clear in your bank account. Advance payments don't exist for ESA anyway.
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
    What a cafufful!
    Thanks for your help poppy, you've given me clearer and more consistent info than any staff I've spoken to and at least I'm know what I'm dealing with ✌
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. It's also worth remembering that when you ring DWP you're actually speaking to someone from a call centre, not someone from DWP itself.
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
    I know, I knew ppl would know what I mean 
  • PabloCarbone118
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.