I bought a car through pcp. I've now been offered a mobility car. Can I get out of the contract? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I bought a car through pcp. I've now been offered a mobility car. Can I get out of the contract?

Options
susieminis
susieminis Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I registered I recently bought a car through pcp. My first time doing so. Now I have been awarded a mobility car if I want. Can you get out of the contract. With the current financial situation I’m finding it difficult to make the payments 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    You haven't been awarded a mobility car because this isn't possible. If you have Enhanced mobility PIP or high rate DLA then it enables you to exchange that for a mobility car but you lose the mobility payments.
    The good thing now is that you have your mobility payment to use for the PCP monthly payment. The mobility payment for Enhanced PIP is £250.20 every 4 weeks. If your PCP payment is less than this then i don't understand the financial difficulty. Most of the mobility cars available will take all of you mobility payments. Some also require you to pay an advance payment.
    With regards to the PCP then you will need to speak to the loan company.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • susieminis
    susieminis Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks I’ve already reassessed my income and it works out fine. I was just wondering but kinda knew what you were going to say.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will depend on the finance company.  Many will allow you to sell the car and then pay off the remaining finance.  In 'normal' times you'd generally be in negative equity, but with the used car market as it is right now, it would be worth checking your paperwork getting a valuation on your car and a settlement figure from the finance company.

Two things to consider though.  If you're on means tested benefits, getting a large payment from a car sale into your account could cause problems with capital limits, even if you then pay off the finance with it.  Secondly, new car wait times are currently many months for the majority of cars.  You could be waiting a long time unless you want something less desirable that's already been built and just hanging around at the back of a compound for a while!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.