I took voluntary redundancy and GP has signed me off work. Should I push myself to get back to work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I took voluntary redundancy and GP has signed me off work. Should I push myself to get back to work?

tracypage
tracypage Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in Work and employment
Hi,
I’m a newbie to this forum, so hello to everyone.

I’ve struggled for the past few years with health issues, which have always been put down to menopause, approaching the big 60 this year.

I don’t suffer with back pain as such, just a burning sensation when standing and pain in the left hip, which I thought was due to knee replacements.

In the past 2 years I’ve been diagnosed with, WPW which has been abated, micro vascular angina, fibromyalgia, mild scoliosis and lumber spinal canal stenosis.

Currently not working but struggling with acceptance and limitations.  I took voluntary redundancy recently and MY GP has signed me off work.

Question is?? Should I be pushing my self to get back to work or just accept.
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Hello @tracypage and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out this morning :)

I think the decision about whether to get back to work is a very personal one, so it would be difficult for anyone to advise you directly.

I suppose a question I could ask you is, what do you value most?

In the short term, if you do want to continue working, think about what aspects of your work make you happy. Is there a way of still being able to do these things from home, or more flexibly than before?

In the longer term, think about how much you might need to invest in looking after your body, as well as your mental health. What might that look like to you?

I know I've given you more questions than answers, but I hope they can help you come to a decision. If there's anything that doesn't make sense, please do let me know.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ProudMumForever
    ProudMumForever Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hello @tracypage , hope you are ok .
    Im 51 and also get the burning sentation in my joints,especially pelvic,hip and back due to Menapause .
    I handed in my notice at work 5 weeks ago due to my Mental Health (diagnosed 13 months ago) and menapause symptoms . I am now on Universal Credit (was on tax credits) and handing in sick notes , have you looked into UC ?  I joined this community to gain information and regain my confidence and  try to learn to accept that i now have to  do things differently . Take care.😊
  • Yani09
    Yani09 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    tracypage said:
    Hi,
    I’m a newbie to this forum, so hello to everyone.

I’ve struggled for the past few years with health issues, which have always been put down to menopause, approaching the big 60 this year.

I don’t suffer with back pain as such, just a burning sensation when standing and pain in the left hip, which I thought was due to knee replacements.

In the past 2 years I’ve been diagnosed with, WPW which has been abated, micro vascular angina, fibromyalgia, mild scoliosis and lumber spinal canal stenosis.

Currently not working but struggling with acceptance and limitations.  I took voluntary redundancy recently and MY GP has signed me off work.

Question is?? Should I be pushing my self to get back to work or just accept.
    Hi, sorry to hear you are struggling.

Be careful because pushing through now could leave you worse off further down the line.

You want to preserve yourself.. 

Best wishes. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It is hard to accept.yoh can no longer work and takes some.adjusting 

Not having daily interaction with work colleagues or customers 

Now is the time to focus on other things like hobbies , crafts , interests   or even learning new skills 

If your gp has signed you off there must be a reason for this.  Yes it is only guidance and up to you but why see your gp and then ignore their advice 

My career ended very suddenly when I was 50 a single mum and home owner with mortgage . I was beside myself with worry about how I would be able to provide a home and support us 

After a year of really struggling coming to terms with everything our lives started to improve slowly 

You will get there but it will take time 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tracypage welcome to the group, i'm glad you've joined us, i think your going to get a lot out of this very friendly and helpful community,
     Some of what you say is so close to my own health and life style.

It does take some adjustment to finally give up work for your health, but it is the best thing i've done.

• Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    your GP has signed you off for a reason, if you force yourself to go back it will likely make your issues worse especially because you are 60 years old.

Also on a more practical level, you would struggle to get hired because of ageism in the job application process in part because people your age wouldn't have long left in the workforce before retirement age.

definitely use this as an opportunity to step away from work pernamently. maybe look into starting a new hobby or going to local social groups?
  • Sheree_8
    Sheree_8 Community member Posts: 80 Courageous

@tracypage It's a minefield when you take redundancy, even more with health conditions. Firstly I suggest to look to apply for PIP. Then look into Universal Credit, and ensure that you declare your health conditions/disability, and any fit notes. This could trigger an LCW/LCWRA. If so fill in the forms, and if found in LCWRA you will get an additional payment on top of basic UC. If you do consider work, then you could as long as it don't go 16hrs or over. I was advised yesterday by jobcentre that as long as you earn/or work no more 15hrs a week it won't trigger a reassessment of LCWRA. Or if you do volunteer work, it won't affect the UC/or LCWRA. But advised you notify UC of any volunteer work. Same would be if you start paid work.

Sheree

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.