Reasonable Adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable Adjustments

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,588 Pioneering
I requested that DWP use "reasonable adjustments" on my PIP application - since I am unable to speak on the phone.
Yesterday, I  received an email from DCS DCPU Alternative Format Team.
"This is your confirmation email. We have received your request to receive communications from DWP by email. We can offer this as a reasonable adjustment because of your health condition or disability"
Will they try to carry out an assessment by email - rather than phone ?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles

I'm afraid you'd probably have to check directly with the DWP, as I can't be certain whether they have just mistyped here. 

Keep us updated with how you get on :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles

I'm afraid you'd probably have to check directly with the DWP, as I can't be certain whether they have just mistyped here. 

Keep us updated with how you get on :)

I am sorry - but I don't understand your comment - I requested this !!!
    I was just rather suprised that they responded so positively
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry @Wibbles if I've misunderstood you, I was replying to this question you asked:
    Does my reply make more sense now?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Sorry @Wibbles if I've misunderstood you, I was replying to this question you asked:
    Does my reply make more sense now?

Yes it does - you mistook my rhetorical question for a question that needed answering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Wibbles said:

It's highly unlikely this will happen because DWP theirself do not do assessments. I can't imagine how exactly an assessment would work through email.
    Face to face assessments started back quite a few months ago so if an assessment is needed then it will be a face to face if a telephone assessment can't be done.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:

It's highly unlikely this will happen because DWP theirself do not do assessments. I can't imagine how exactly an assessment would work through email.
    Face to face assessments started back quite a few months ago so if an assessment is needed then it will be a face to face if a telephone assessment can't be done.

Good - that is what I was after - hopefully in my own home - if they need to see me ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Home assessments haven't started back yet. Whether this will be the case by the time you have your assessment is anyone's guess.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I do have a good reason for needing a home assessment
    ie) peeing for England (I am unable to make it 30miles to my nearest centre) 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    If home assessments are not operational again though at the time of your assessment then it wouldn’t be possible. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    I do have a good reason for needing a home assessment
    ie) peeing for England (I am unable to make it 30miles to my nearest centre) 

If home assessments aren't back on by the time yours is needed then nothing will help you get one.
  • Wibbles
    Options

So how will they assess me ?

I have been told that they will only correspond with me by email/txt - so this is going to be an interesting few months

• poppy123456
    edited March 2022
    Options

Most people have assessments, which are either face to face at an assessment centre, by telephone or video call. Home assessments haven't started back up yet. An assessment can't be completed by email, that would be a little ridiculous.

I'm sorry but when claiming these benefits you need to go through the same process as everyone else. If an assessment is needed and you fail to attend then you could be refused PIP. If this happens your DLA will end.

• Wibbles
    Options

Sorry but since I am unable to speak on the phone , I requested reasonable adjustments - which they have agreed and MUST offer now

• poppy123456
    Options

Yes, so if an assessment is needed then you would need to attend one of their assessment centres. An assessment will not take place by email, that's a fact. You requested RA's with DWP and they don't deal with assessments so be aware of that.

• Wibbles
    Options

Yes, so if an assessment is needed then you would need to attend one of their assessment centres. An assessment will not take place by email, that's a fact. You requested RA's with DWP and they don't deal with assessments so be aware of that.

But I have also made clear in my application form - that SHOULD an assessment be necessary - my BPH means that I struggle to leave the home - and could not even consider travelling the hour + to the nearest assessment centre and that I would need a home assessment - Touché
    And they must offer RA - believe it or not - it's the LAW !
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If home assessments haven't started back up by the time your assessment is needed then i'm sorry but it just won't happen.
    The simple answer is if you refuse to attend any assessment then your PIP could be refused. Anyway, i've given all the advice that's needed so i won't comment any further.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    If home assessments haven't started back up by the time your assessment is needed then i'm sorry but it just won't happen.
    The simple answer is if you refuse to attend any assessment then your PIP could be refused. Anyway, i've given all the advice that's needed so i won't comment any further.

OK lets hope that they see sense and don't require any assessment then
    Because if they do - I will take matters to the ECHR if necessary
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I still don't have the KAFO - I had a second fitting last week - and have a physio appointment in 3 weeks time !
    It did allow me to walk a short distance pain free - but not climb stairs - so going to the toilet is still going to involve hands and knees
    Also the KAFO doesn't improve my communicating ability
    It's not the distance to the assessment that is the problem (I do drive anyway) it is my peeing problem!! I generally can't go more than an hour without a pee.... 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I am sure we have been through all of this before, have you previously posted under a different user name ? Same with your post on Rights for Medical reports. Both seem very familiar.

My thoughts exactly.

• Wibbles
    Options
    I am sure we have been through all of this before, have you previously posted under a different user name ? Same with your post on Rights for Medical reports. Both seem very familiar.

My thoughts exactly.

Since you appear unable to Ignore me - I will Ignore you
    Goodbye 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.