Couple on UC/one on LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Couple on UC/one on LCWRA

Options
littlemouse13
littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited March 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hey there!

I am on  LCWRA and do 8 hours a week cleaning in a job that currently suits my health condition.
My partner usually works part time too on a zero hour contract. However for the upcoming month of June he has been asked to work 12 hour shifts and will be earning alot that month (full time hours) but after that month he will revert back to his usual 20 hrs per week.
 I am concerned as to how this will effect my LCWRA element of UC. Will it mean for that month, UC will not pay me LCWRA if my partner has earned over the threshold. More importantly, I wanted to check that I won't lose that element altogether because one month my partner will be working alot of hours. Its probably a silly question but we do not want to end up financially worse off in the long run if he accepts the hours offered. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The LCWRA element just makes up part of your maximum UC amount. That doesn't change and it isn't treated separately. 
    Because you have LCWRA some of your joint earnings are ignored (called the Work Allowance, the amount depends on whether or not you get help with rent). Above this there is a deduction of 55% of earnings.

So, if your partner earns more your UC reduces (and could be nil depending on your maximum entitlement and how much he earns).  Next month when he earns less the UC goes up again.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • littlemouse13
    littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    Oh, that helps my racing mind. Thankyou! 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad it's helped @littlemouse13 please do say if you need a hand with anything else :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.