Worries about PIP appointee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worries about PIP appointee

Options
Jodie0201
Jodie0201 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am in need of some advice on my situation,

So I was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome at 13 years old and therefore my mother became my appointee due to my age this was back when I was on DLA. 

I then got switched over to PIP once I turned 16 but my mum still stayed on as my appointee  because at the time as I wasn’t good with money. 

I am now 20 years old with a baby on the way and I live on my own and support myself and can manage money a lot better but she is still my appointee and due to recent events I am not on good terms with her and am afraid of her spending money I am entitled to without me knowing due to the fact it gets paid into her account. 

I would like to get the money paid into my account instead but with the way my mother is she won’t write to DWP explaining I am capable of managing my own money because in her eyes she has this control over me if it gets paid into her account. 

I would really appreciate any advice on what to do in this situation as I feel hopeless and have nowhere else to turn to? 

Many thanks

JH
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @Jodie0201 good evening and a very warm welcome to scope, this isn't an area I know anything about but I'm sure someone who does have some knowledge will be along tomorrow so please check back.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    You need to contact DWP who will then need to decide if they consider you fit to manage your own affairs. They will involve your mother in that decision making process.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/procedures-for-dealing-with-agents-appointees-attorneys-deputies-and-third-parties/part-5-appointee#changing-an-appointee
    Revoking an appointment – request received from the customer
    5402. Whilst it should be the appointee who reports an improvement in the customer’s condition, if the customer themselves reports this and asks that they become responsible for their benefits, take the following action:
    1. Refer the case for a visit to the customer as a matter of priority.
    2. At the same time send the letter below to the appointee (or ask the benefit section to issue the letter urgently).
    3. If the appointee agrees that the customer is capable then no visit will be needed. Just arrange for payment(s) to be made in the name of the customer (We may need a new bank account.)
    4. If the appointee contests our proposed action make a note of what is said and pass this through to the appropriate visiting service. They will decide how to use the information at the visit. At this time do not interfere with any benefit payments.
    5. At the end of the visit the visiting officer will make a recommendation.
    The letter
    Dear,
    You currently act as the appointee for …

He/She contacted us on … to say that he/she no longer requires you to act as his/her appointee. He/she says that he/she is now capable of managing his/her benefit affairs.

If someone is able to manage their own benefits then the Secretary of State must revoke any existing appointment.

We now intend to visit [name] to confirm that he/she is indeed capable of managing his/her own benefit. The visit will take place within the next few weeks.

However, if you feel that [name] is now capable of managing their benefits a visit will not be required. Please let us know either by letter or call the above number.

If you do not feel this is correct you can make representations about this by contacting us as above. We will still need to visit in order to assess his/her capacity to manage their benefit but will take into account anything you have told us when making our decision.

Yours sincerely

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.