Where can I get advice regarding UC carer element?

Options
abcref
abcref Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all I am Adam.  Can anyone point me right direction to get advice (add post) regarding UC carer element please.
Thankyou

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,321 Championing
    Options
    Hi,
    What advice exactly would you like? i'm sure someone can help you but you'll need to give some information.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Championing
    Options
    Welcome to the community @abcref :) It's great to have you on board!

I've moved your post into our category for posts relating to Universal Credit (UC), which would be the best place to ask a question about the Carer's Element. I've renamed your post so that other members know what your post is about. 

You can see our other categories here on the categories page. If you need any help working out how to use the community, please just give us a shout. 
  • abcref
    Options
    I didn't realise there was a carers element on universal credit.  I have looked after my partner's dad for years but was only last year he was eligible for daily living component of pip (only received mobility prior to this). Wasn't entitled to carers allowance as I am self employed and earned too much and never knew about carers element.  Would this be able to be backdated?  Not particularly fussed but had I have known I would have put in for it earlier.  Only reason I found out was because I was asked to go in for a review and told them when originally claiming I was self employed and looked after partner's dad and they just said it was fine.
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2022
    Options
    abcref said:
    I didn't realise there was a carers element on universal credit.  I have looked after my partner's dad for years but was only last year he was eligible for daily living component of pip (only received mobility prior to this). Wasn't entitled to carers allowance as I am self employed and earned too much and never knew about carers element.  Would this be able to be backdated?  Not particularly fussed but had I have known I would have put in for it earlier.  Only reason I found out was because I was asked to go in for a review and told them when originally claiming I was self employed and looked after partner's dad and they just said it was fine.

If you reported being his carer at the time then it maybe possible for it to be backdated. If you didn't then they don't usually backdate it.
    However, if he's living alone (or classed as living alone) and claims certain means tested benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support then he could claim the Severe disability Premium, if he isn't already claiming it. If you claim the carers element of UC then this would affect the SDP and it would stop so he would be at least £67.30 per week worse off.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    Options
    poppy123456 said:.. if he's living alone (or classed as living alone) and claims certain means tested benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support then he could claim the Severe disability Premium, if he isn't already claiming it. If you claim the carers element of UC then this would affect the SDP and it would stop so he would be at least £67.30 per week worse off.
    .. or Pension Credit (if pension age).
  • abcref
    Options
    No not old enough for pension credit and doesn't live alone.  Didn't see any point in saying I was caring for someone as I told them in 2019 at face to face first interview whilst proving my self employment.  At that time wasn't entitled to carers allowance as he wasn't receiving daily living as he was 1 point off or something silly.  Then 2021 he was awarded daily living but I obviously knew I wasn't entitled to carers allowance so never bothered looking into it.  Never even knew there was a carers element. 
    They never even mentioned about carers element or carers credit when me and my partner applied for UC, I only found out about them yesterday after the Mrs had a massive rant about me having to go to commitments review when as she put it 'you work your bloody **** off all night look after me dad in the day as well as school runs and we got a child who isn't even bloody 3 yet and they want you to do more.  Love to see those fwits do what you do' then she started scouring the internet. Obviously swearing was involved so left her to and that's when she found out about carers element
  • poppy123456
    Options
    abcref said:
    No not old enough for pension credit and doesn't live alone.
    It's not just paid with pension credit as mentioned here..
    abcref said:
      claims certain means tested benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support then he could claim the Severe disability Premium, if he isn't already claiming it.

Depending on who he lives with he may still be already claiming it or could be entitled to it because as i advised "classed as living alone" also qualifies. Does he live with a partner? Are they registered blind or also claiming either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance?

• abcref
    Options
    No doesn't claim jsa/ESA lives with wife who works full-time.
    Sorry been a busy week
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 504 Empowering
    Options
    I am not sure what your doctors surgery is like. However, our surgey was really good and pointed us in the right direction. A lot of doctors have advice services on hand. We were not aware of Universal credit and did not claim it. It was only until the Doctor said we need to put you in touch with an advisory service. We then went on UC, and then they said about the carers element which i had never heard of. If you go in your online journal and leave a message for your work coach, then they can reply quickly and can also contact you and talk to you about it. Mine was really good. But, i would suggest going to an advisor to find out what you are and are not entitled to
  • poppy123456
    Options

abcref said:
    No doesn't claim jsa/ESA lives with wife who works full-time.
    Sorry been a busy week

Then you should "report a change of circumstances" and report caring for him for at least 35 hours per week. You will then have the carers element added to your claim.