Cheap/subsidised taxi schemes for the disabled? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cheap/subsidised taxi schemes for the disabled?

Options
Florine
Florine Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
Someone I know who is disabled and vulnerable, and lives in a residential home (in the London suburbs), needs to travel short distances to a venue on a regular basis. The home's policy - not sure if this is Covid-19-related or more general - is that their residents should not be given lifts by members of the general public, so this person is having to get cabs to travel this short distance, at £6 minimum fare a time, and back again, which is getting ruinously expensive.

I don't really think a Dial-A-Ride scheme would be very suitable, particularly as the pick-up times for the return journey would be unpredictable.  I had a feeling there was some sort of (nationwide?) subsidised taxi scheme for the disabled which might make such trips easier to manage: is there one, or was I imagining it? 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm not aware of such a scheme to be honest I use taxi on regular basis 

I can't tbh see the difference between being transported by taxi company or member of public and would query this with the care home especially now restrictions for covid have been lifted 

Unless taxi drivers have to do regular flow tests I'm not sure why they are requesting this 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello @Florine and thanks for your query today :)

The person you know may be eligible for a Taxicard, which offers subsidised travel in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles (mini cabs) to London residents with serious mobility impairments or who are severely sight impaired. It enables members who have difficulty in using buses, trains and tubes to get out and about. 

Transport For All has a guide to find out if you are eligible, I'm afraid it's only available in pdf format. 

The London Councils website also has details on how to apply, and how to use the card. 

Please do say if you'd like help with anything else, and I hope these are useful for you.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Options

Ah! Taxicard! Yes, I think that was probably it. I should think he ought to qualify, as long as he's claiming all his benefits. Thank you - I'll pass the information on.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are very welcome @Florine, happy to help :) I hope you are enjoying the sunshine this weekend!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.