Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

How can i reduce my hours and what can I claim to help

KT75 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

After having to work full time from part time, I am struggling, I’m not sure how long I can carry on 

I am self employed so if I work less I earn less and can’t afford that

i have just got another diagnosis on top of two other chronic illnesses

has anyone else managed to go p/t and if so what did you claim 

I don’t get dla or pip or anything at the moment 

I want to work just feel full time will make me even more I’ll 

thanks for reading 


  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ktt75 welcome to the group.

    My husband is self employed and has been for a long time - it can be a mine field with what you can/can't claim.
    so i am hoping some of our members who are in the know can advise you. Good luck.

    Please don't worry if you do not get a reply quickly as we tend to pop in and out of the site during the day.

  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    edited March 2022

    start a claim for PIP as soon as possible as that's what it's there for. it's not means tested (as in, your income from PIP won't change by your employment). You can't claim DLA any more.

    if you force yourself to work full time when your body is telling you not to it will have long term consequences.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022

    You can check entitlement to Universal Credit, whether you'll qualify will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. As self employed you will need to report your earnings and expenses onto your journal each month.

    If you earn less than 16x NMW per month then you can report a health condition and send in fit notes to start the work capability assessment off.

    Before applying for PIP you should have a look at the descriptors to see if you may qualify. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis or your ability to work. What matters is how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.