Pain level / pain threshold — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain level / pain threshold

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,616 Pioneering

How do you determine the level of pain that you are in?

Everybody has different threshold levels
My wife has started to query the amount of pain that I am in -because rather than walking to the bottom of the stairs, I now simply crawl all of the way - when I try walking, I get shooting pains down my legs and spine (My 6 years, knee replacement has not helped)
My wife tells me that she is in pain as well, but carries on regardless - because someone has  to do the housework/shopping/cooking/cleaning/garden etc
I am on Naproxen

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi wibbles i agree every one has different pain threshholds, have you been or spoke to your doctor recently to see whats going on.
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    No my GP is not seeing patients face to face and I can't speak on the phone
    I have seen orthotics and physio 
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    Options
    Wibbles said:

How do you determine the level of pain that you are in?

Everybody has different threshold levels
    My wife has started to query the amount of pain that I am in -because rather than walking to the bottom of the stairs, I now simply crawl all of the way - when I try walking, I get shooting pains down my legs and spine (My 6 years, knee replacement has not helped)
    My wife tells me that she is in pain as well, but carries on regardless - because someone has  to do the housework/shopping/cooking/cleaning/garden etc
    I am on Naproxen

I also had a knee replacement, mine was in 2010 and left me worse off.
    Without any doubt we cope with pain levels that would send most people who don't live with pain, running to A&E and to look at us, you would not be able to tell because we are in constant pain.
    My family say they score my pain levels on levels of grumpiness! 🤣
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I sometimes feel like giving up - to start with there's my knee (now kneeS) - With extremely poor (no) mobility - I am putting on weight because I struggle to exercise - this is a vicious circle and puts even more load on my knees !
    I also suffer from BPH and have many "accidents"
    These are both linked to a head injury that occurred 32 years ago - leaving me in veg state for several weeks !
    That head injury has left me with memory and communication issues (still)
    We then had / have the pandemic and now Putin (with a small risk of WW3) - I mean what else can go wrong in my life ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Wibbles sorry to hear all you have been through 8t 8s tough dealing with these conditions 

Try and be positive 8f you can and focus on what you can do rather than what you can't 

I try and accept my fate and know there are others far worse off . I too have been dealt some real challenges last 5 years losing my leg and nearly all my sight but I am still here and a single mum . We just do things differently 

Take care 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk @Wibbles :) I'm sorry to hear that things have been so tricky for you lately, and the distressing news recently has been affecting us all I'm sure.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.