If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Heartbroken

Options
Nicetomeetyou22
Nicetomeetyou22 Community member Posts: 1,880 Pioneering
Well I was out shopping and feeling very calm as I had 1 of my lil boys with me he has complex needs anyway I was getting served in a shop and rude man who was serving me said it must be hard looking after disabled children I didn't know how quick to get out the shop I have came home and absolutely cried my eyes out 

Comments

• Adie_Hawkeye
    Adie_Hawkeye Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    I am sorry that you were treated to one of life's opinionated people who was not just rude but should not in anyway shape or form should have spoke to you like that. I wished I could say that it is probably just a one off, but truth be told it is probably not the first time you have been treated in that way! I hope that you put this behind you, sometimes when someone points me out or says something I turn off my hearing and just remember all of the things I have done and remember you can't change the past or anyone's oppinion. Does not mean their oppinon is right. Please don't let the ignorance of one person change the way you are especially with your children All the best I am always about as being disabled myself I don't get much of a chance to get out so if you need to chat again please message me Adie

• Nicetomeetyou22
    Options
    @Adie_Hawkeye thank you for your support it does mean alot I have 4 children with complex needs just some people can be so rude these days plus I have autism myself and small cyst on the brain amongst other health problems I guess I just got bit overwhelmed that's all plus I have social anxiety/ normal anxiety and I don't hardly leave the house as its my comfort zone 😊 Takecare.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry @Nicetomeetyou22 it's so frustrating when people we don't know make assumptions like that. They can really impact on how you feel for the rest of the day, and can be quite hurtful.

It's part of human nature to assume that things we don't know a lot about must always be scary or difficult. With the way that disability is portrayed in the media, it can sometimes be easy for people to form opinions about what being disabled, or having disabled relatives or friends must be like, and sometimes these don't match the reality.

Given the barriers that disabled people face, it think it's fair to say that living with disability is sometimes harder than it needs to be, but that doesn't mean it's harder all the time!

I think a better question for him to ask would be "How do you find looking after your children?", but it is still quite a personal question for a shop assistant to ask a customer.

In my own experience, some non disabled people feel almost entitled to ask very personal questions and think nothing of it. I understand the curiosity, but just because we might look or behave differently, does not give you the right to know why.

Try not to dwell on it today, and know that we're here to listen and support you :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Nicetomeetyou22
    Options

@Alex_Scope He's made me feel very upset 😡 I hadn't even finished all my shopping I came out the shop and walked back home and cried my eyes out I was having a calm day till he said that now my heads all over the place thank you for your support does mean alot.

• Nicetomeetyou22
    Options

@Teddybear12 Thank you very much thanks for all your support have a lovely day takecare.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.