Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

How much written evidence for a PIP application is too much evidence?

Options
nasturtium
nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering

Hello

I woud like some inforgmation please. I am helping someone with a PIP aplication and he is being very detailed in his written evidence. It is ranging from 3-5 pages (single sided) of A4 for each activity. He has included real world anicdotal evidence for as many activities as he can.

He is a little confused because he has read that he has to be as detailed as possible but then to much evidence can go against a claim.

So what is the advised amout of written evidence to supply with a PIP claim without it being to much?

Thank you in advance.

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @nasturtium

I hope you are well. This is an interesting question.

I have seen it said elsewhere on the community that half a side of A4 per descriptor is a decent amount to aim for, but I suppose it all comes down to how relevant the information is.

Three to five pages does sound like a lot, but if all of that detail is relevant and will support with getting the amount he feels as though he is entitled to then I'm not sure there is a such thing as too much information.

Out of curiosity, where did the person you are helping read that too much information can go against a claimant?

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,999 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options

3-5 pages of A4 paper is far too much information. Two real world incidents per descriptor that applies with about half an A4 side of paper per descriptor is more than enough. Include information such as where they were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. Less is often more and they don't need to hear anyone's life story.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

A key point is making sure you know the descriptors and the point scoring system. Information that is outside these is not relevant.

For example the moving around activity looks at walking on the flat outside and can take into consideration negotiating kerbs. Writing about difficulties going up and down the stairs therefore has no relevance.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.