A fight for everything — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A fight for everything

Options
MumofRaff
MumofRaff Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in Education

Hi

My 10 year old son is severely disabled, non verbal, has epilepsy, cannot walk or sit unaided, is doubly incontinent and is type 1 diabetic.

There has never been an update of the EHCP - the only one in place is 7+ years old.

Since it was written, we have had all night care withdrawn (2018), he has had his diabetes diagnosis. Additionally, although it states my son is entitled to short breaks, we've only ever had hospice stays as our short breaks (he is life limited) and nothing arranged by the council. The hospice give us 6 nights per year.

I have got to the end of my tether and am pushing for residential schooling. My question however is in relation to the EHCP - it's a legally binding document - if social and health have not been providing what's stated in it as it's either been withdrawn or was never given on the first place, what clout does this give me in my request for residential schooling? We have a meeting to discuss my request, which the LEA will be attending.

Many thanks in advance

Nina

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.