Hello, my name is Jo! I'm a new Community Volunteer Host. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, my name is Jo! I'm a new Community Volunteer Host.

Options
Jo_2022
Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering

👋 Hello, my name is Jo! I'm a new Community Volunteer Host.

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello@Jo_2022 - great you're a new Community Volunteer Host. I hope you enjoy the community & your volunteer role, Jo.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options

A warm welcome from me to the community @Jo_2022! It's great to have you on board 🙂 How are you doing today?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited March 2022
    Options

Good afternoon @Jo_2022 🙂

Welcome to the community, it's really great to have you here with us all.

It's fantastic that you're volunteering with us. What are you looking forward to most about your role?

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Jo_2022
    Options

Thank you so much for the warm welcome chairieds, Tori_Scope and Libby_Scope 🙂.

chairieds yes I'm enjoying reading the discussions on the community and my first day as a volunteer. I hope you are enjoying the community too!

Tori_Scope I'm doing fine today thanks. How are you doing today?

Libby_Scope the thing I'm most looking forward to about this role is the opportunity to hear about people's experiences and views. I hope I can provide some help to people on the community. What do you enjoy about your role?

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi jo_2022 - I think I must enjoy being here, as it's over 2 & a half years now! There are some lovely people on the forum, whom I'm sure you'll get to know. I look forward to your help & views.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi Jo and welcome from me too

• androgynous
    androgynous Community member Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum.

I have a problem I have been unable to resolve and I don't know where to turn with it next so i'm hoping you can help.

I haven't had any National Insurance Credits since I've been in receipt of Universal Credit which is going into it's 5th year now. Universal credit are supposed to inform HMRC at the beginning of your claim and Class 3 Credits are then supposed to be paid automatically.

I've been passed from pillar to post for the last few weeks, I've made two formal complaints to the DWP and my claim manager says:-

When you made your claim on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, HMRC would have automatically been informed of your UC claim. Our technical team have investigated the lack of national insurance credits to your account since this xxxx and have confirmed that your account will be credited x months before you are due to start receiving your state pension.  This is the correct process based on government policy.
    If you disagree with this policy you are advised to raise any objections by accessing “About government policy of law” on the Gov.uk website. This is your opportunity to give details about the government policies which you disagree with. 
    This should resolve your query as there is no further information that I can give you.

Prior to this my claim manager said :-

We are bound by law and all our policies are set in parliament.  If you disagree with this please go to gov.uk and "about government policy of law".

So they are bound by law in not paying my NI Credits automatically?

My Solicitor doesn't have the capacity to take on any more cases.

I'm tired of constantly fighting the DWP. Should i just leave this in the hope the loss of some NI credits will go in my favour towards claiming Pension Credit although i'm not sure if i will get Pension Credit as I thought you have to be 'disabled' or in receipt of the SDP which I lost when I moved to UC? Does this mean I am no longer officially 'Severly Disabled' when it comes to claiming Pension Credit. No, I don't have any savings etc. I've just had to claim charity towards my energy bill which has been very gratefully received.

Thank you

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi Jo and a warm welcome from me as well, great to meet you.

@androgynous re N.I credits do you know how many full years you have? If you are getting nowhere with HMRC/DWP might be an idea to involve your MP.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too @Jo_2022 I hope you enjoy volunteering on the community  :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ProudMumForever
    ProudMumForever Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    A warm welcome to @Jo_2022 😊

• Jo_2022
    Options
    Hi Teddybear12, janner1967, androgynous, woodbine, Alex_Scope, ProudMumForever  :). Thanks for the kind words! 

• Jo_2022
    Options
    Hi androgynous,

Thanks for sharing your problem. I do apologise, I don’t have professional knowledge or experience in this area.

Maybe you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for help? I know Citezens Advice support people with claiming benefits, such as ESA and Universal Credit. 

Some people find the process of applying for benefits frustrating, as the DWP seem to have a long winded approach.

Best wishes 

• androgynous
    Options
    woodbine said:

Hi Jo and a warm welcome from me as well, great to meet you.

@androgynous re N.I credits do you know how many full years you have? If you are getting nowhere with HMRC/DWP might be an idea to involve your MP.

@woodbine

Yes, obviously I've checked my NI record to know I haven't received my NI credits since I've been on UC. I'm tired of pouring over Pensions and Pension Credit and I still can't work out if I will definitely receive Pension Credit. It's going to make a huge difference to my finances. My Pension Credit forecast adds the Severe Disability Premium - lower rate. It says the same even if you are on enhanced rates in both components. I don't know who qualifies for the Severe Disability Premium - higher rate, on Pension Credit?

I've tried everything, DWP, HMRC, advice agencies, solicitors, FOI requests, formal complaints and my MP who is currently not making appointments with constituents. Never known a time when they do.

No one has the answer to this and I suggest people keep track of their NI record just to be aware, even if there is nothing you can do to resolve the governments assurance 'Universal Credit automatically pays class 3 credits'. 

The longer UC is around, the longer the gaps will be in UC claimants NI records. For those who aren't yet retiring, that is. 
  • androgynous
    Options

Jo_2022 said:
    Hi androgynous,

Thanks for sharing your problem. I do apologise, I don’t have professional knowledge or experience in this area.

Maybe you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for help? I know Citezens Advice support people with claiming benefits, such as ESA and Universal Credit. 

Some people find the process of applying for benefits frustrating, as the DWP seem to have a long winded approach.

Best wishes 
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I've contacted every one on the planet, but no one can execute what I consider to be a simple task, i.e. informing HMRC I'm in receipt of UC. It's clear they haven't been told and It's clear to me they need to get their IT systems sorted before they end up with hundreds of thousands of people like me.

I don't know what problems it will cause when I claim my pension, maybe none, but I can't afford to have no income if it causes a problem. They've had plenty of warning. I'll just have incomplete NI years at worst? I hope so. Frustrating.

Best wishes to you, too
  • Jo_2022
    Options
    Hello bekindalways! Thanks for the kind words :)  

• Jo_2022
    Options
    Hi androgynous,

You are most welcome. I am sorry I couldn’t give a direct answer to your question. I hope someone on the online community might be able to help you out. Have a lovely day in the sunshine! 

Best wishes 

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jo_2022 welcome to this fantastic group.
    Look forward to seeing you around - i'm in the coffee lounge most of the time.
  • Jo_2022
    Options
    Hi SueHeath! Thank you for reaching out  :)

• Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Options
  • Jo_2022
    Options
    Hi Justcheckingin15! How are you today?  :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.