My son's once again been refused PIP. My anxiety is off the scales — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son's once again been refused PIP. My anxiety is off the scales

13591 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My 30 year old son has narcolepsy with cataplexy and once again has been refused pip,we have been to 2 tribunals since 2016 he gets awarded the standard daily living but this time we have to do it again, there is no cure for his condition and takes heavy duty medication, he also suffers from depression, they called him for a phone assessment before receiving the form ,I'm at the end of my tether with all this my anxiety is off the scales as we lost my dad to covid last year August and trying to come to terms with that and deal with this again is getting me down, I saw scope on the TV and thought I'd try and see if you can help me please 

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @13591 welcome to the group.
    Firstly i am sorry to hear about you losing your Dad and the problems you are having.
    I can not help you with PIP but we do have a lot of experts in the group that will.

I am sure you will be greeted by some of the others when they wake up ha ha. Some of us pop in and out of the group during the day.
    In the mean time, if you have a chance, have a look in the Categories section, you will find a part on benifits and you can see the problems/answers others have had.

Look forward to seeing you around the site.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) You should put this in writing stating where and why you think he should have scored those points. Adding a couple of real world incidents of what happened that last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him. Include information such as where he was, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Timescales for MR decision are between 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @13591

Welcome to the community, thank you for talking about what you are going through, and I'm sorry to read about how much this is impacting you and your family.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dad, I can't imagine how that must have felt but I'm sure that you have the full support of everyone here. Regarding your anxiety and mental health, do you receive any support to manage this aspect of your life? For example, is your GP aware of the stress you have been under lately? Mind have some self-care tips for anxiety that you may find useful, you can read those on this page.

I hope that your son also receives the full support he needs and that he is managing okay through this process. I hope the above replies from other members have been helpful, and please feel free to browse our PIP category for discussions relating to yours to get involved with.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.