PIP assesment - Capita with [removed] — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assesment - Capita with [removed]

mkl14
mkl14 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I had my assesment via telephone about a month ago and finally received my report after requesting it.

My assesment was conducted by a [removed] lady who was very rude, abrupt, she kept cutting me off, wouldnt let me finish and was very judgy, condescending and patronising. She kept making remarks like "that's not what im asking' or "we dont have enough time" and it was very disconcerting and off putting. I was not even asked the correct questions in accordance with the form but more discussion was given on trivial items. She also kept trying to catch me out and insinuated several times that i was lying about my conditions. 

However, i thought maybe it is for them to be adversarial and as long as she provides a true reflection of my condition, it will be ok BUT receiving my report today - i am in bits. i WANT TO CRY! The information is inaccurate, fabricated and no onus has been placed on how the condition affects me but more so how it does NOT. Surely this is not the correct way to do it.? I have not scored any points on anything and I have been assessed as being competent and of sound mind and that my disability does not hinder me or affect me. - What a joke? The report is factually not correct and my application and supporting evidence are not referred to anywhere. 

I do not know what to do - i have tried speaking to DWP and i am on hold now - no one is wanting to help and i feel sick to my stomach. This whole process has been terrible and traumatic. I cannot believe the government is paying these assessors to carry out assesments in such a disgraceful manner with no empathy or sensitivity.

Has anyone had a similar experience and particularly with this assesor? and what did you do about it? what recourse is there? please help me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure what you mean by "mamo lady"
    This is the problem when you ask for a copy of the assessment report. The report is not the decision. It's their opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. They aren't there to write what you said word for word. If this was the case, there would be no need for the assessment.
    There's no right or wrong questions which they should ask and they don't have to be related to the form you filled in. The assessment is for them to gather more evidence to support your claim. They will ask you questions related to how your conditions affect you. There's no trick questions. One question could answer several questions and you won't even realise it.
    You can put in a complaint to the health assessment providers. Details how to do this will be on their website. The report has nothing to do with DWP.
    Although they do often go with the report, it has been known for them to go against it.
    Once you have the decision if you're not happy you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gowe
    gowe Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    mkl14 said:
    Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I had my assesment via telephone about a month ago and finally received my report after requesting it.

My assesment was conducted by a [removed] lady who was very rude, abrupt, she kept cutting me off, wouldnt let me finish and was very judgy, condescending and patronising. She kept making remarks like "that's not what im asking' or "we dont have enough time" and it was very disconcerting and off putting. I was not even asked the correct questions in accordance with the form but more discussion was given on trivial items. She also kept trying to catch me out and insinuated several times that i was lying about my conditions. 

However, i thought maybe it is for them to be adversarial and as long as she provides a true reflection of my condition, it will be ok BUT receiving my report today - i am in bits. i WANT TO CRY! The information is inaccurate, fabricated and no onus has been placed on how the condition affects me but more so how it does NOT. Surely this is not the correct way to do it.? I have not scored any points on anything and I have been assessed as being competent and of sound mind and that my disability does not hinder me or affect me. - What a joke? The report is factually not correct and my application and supporting evidence are not referred to anywhere. 

I do not know what to do - i have tried speaking to DWP and i am on hold now - no one is wanting to help and i feel sick to my stomach. This whole process has been terrible and traumatic. I cannot believe the government is paying these assessors to carry out assesments in such a disgraceful manner with no empathy or sensitivity.

Has anyone had a similar experience and particularly with this assesor? and what did you do about it? what recourse is there? please help me. 
    Hi I had an assessment on the 31st March, it was horrible I was on the phone 2 hours and she was in training so had someone listening in she was the same very patronising and just horrible.
    It left me feeling so ill and stressed out. X
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    gowe said:

Hi I had an assessment on the 31st March, it was horrible I was on the phone 2 hours and she was in training so had someone listening in she was the same very patronising and just horrible.
    Sorry to hear about your experience, that must have been very upsetting. I hope you've been able to have a relaxing weekend to try and take your mind off it a bit.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • POGGYFLOSS
    POGGYFLOSS Scope Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Hi I had a telephone assessment on the 4th of March which was exactly the opposite I'm so sorry to hear that it's beginning to seem that I was just very very lucky! Assessor could not have been nicer and put me at my ease even offered a couple of suggestions about some issues I might have been having that I hadn't even thought of. That may have been because I had to use our local money advice service because I can't write so the person doing that was very very experienced in putting things in the PIP way of speaking I don't know but my result was totally different I got enhanced level on both categories and can't tell you what this person was called now almost like two different services.

• gowe
    gowe said:

Sorry to hear about your experience, that must have been very upsetting. I hope you've been able to have a relaxing weekend to try and take your mind off it a bit.
    Hi @Ross_Scope I have not stopped thinking about it Thankyou for the message, glad it’s out of the way now I’m going to try and stop stressing about it and just hope for a good outcome ❤️ 
  • gowe
    Hi I had a telephone assessment on the 4th of March which was exactly the opposite I'm so sorry to hear that it's beginning to seem that I was just very very lucky! Assessor could not have been nicer and put me at my ease even offered a couple of suggestions about some issues I might have been having that I hadn't even thought of. That may have been because I had to use our local money advice service because I can't write so the person doing that was very very experienced in putting things in the PIP way of speaking I don't know but my result was totally different I got enhanced level on both categories and can't tell you what this person was called now almost like two different services.

Hi @POGGYFLOSS I think I was just unlucky, it was a nightmare, it’s funny because they were actually going to do my assessment in December but without my forms before they were due in so I obviously decided against it as they didn’t have any of my evidence back which I find so odd they would of done my assessment without my forms but the woman in December who I spoke to was so lovely and caring but I told her I would wait until they received all my evidence and forms. I’m so pleased for you that you got your pip and that you had a nice assessor, such a relief for you ❤️
  • samik51
    samik51 Community member Posts: 58 Connected
    I had the same  problem  few years ago   them assers   were   so rude  and  hardly  even   know  me and   put me  o   0  for  everything and    called  me  a  liyer about  my  illnesses  that   have  never  been  looked   at  so   I no how   u  feel  your  not  alone   I lost  my   dla   5yrs  ago   and    had  a  bad experience  ive   applied again  last   year  and  hoping  something  good mite  come  out  of  it  this   year  by illnesses are  far  much   worse  and  waiting  on  assers   appointment  on phone  taken  since  last  March  not heard  nothing  doubt  that  il.get nothing  again  so    just   going    have  to  forget   all  abou  it  for  now     ain't as  lucky  as  some  people aww   well  ive   applied  for  pip  but  no  not  heard  from  them  since  lockdown  doubt  il bother  with  it now.
  • gowe
    samik51 said:
    I had the same  problem  few years ago   them assers   were   so rude  and  hardly  even   know  me and   put me  o   0  for  everything and    called  me  a  liyer about  my  illnesses  that   have  never  been  looked   at  so   I no how   u  feel  your  not  alone   I lost  my   dla   5yrs  ago   and    had  a  bad experience  ive   applied again  last   year  and  hoping  something  good mite  come  out  of  it  this   year  by illnesses are  far  much   worse  and  waiting  on  assers   appointment  on phone  taken  since  last  March  not heard  nothing  doubt  that  il.get nothing  again  so    just   going    have  to  forget   all  abou  it  for  now     ain't as  lucky  as  some  people aww   well  ive   applied  for  pip  but  no  not  heard  from  them  since  lockdown  doubt  il bother  with  it now.
    It’s horrible isn’t it, it’s a terrible system in ways, my poor mum who has been through so much health wise moved over from lifetime dla to pip but had to have a pip assessment, the woman she had who assessed her lied about everything it was so bad we had to go to tribunal and waited a year for that and she won her case, I was with my mum in that assessment about 3 years ago and the lies the assessor spun were disgraceful. 
    This is why I don’t trust them. 
    Hope you sort yours out and are successful x
  • poppy123456
    samik51 said:
    well  ive   applied  for  pip  but  no  not  heard  from  them  since  lockdown  doubt  il bother  with  it now.

It's more than 2 years since the first lockdown. Are you saying you applied and haven't heard anything in all that time? Is there any reason why you haven't contacted DWP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sallyann56
    Sallyann56 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I had a rude woman who cut me off. She was saying "that's not what I asked'" and I felt rushed.
    She didn't read my form properly. She asked" what happened about your sleep apnoea" I told ger it was on the firm it is diagnosed and I've had a CPAP machine since last year!
    I got care but no mobility and I want to ask for a mandatory consideration. 
    I had nearly 2 hours questioning and thought I'd get nothing. 
  • poppy123456
    Robint said:

Fundamentally you must demand to know with whom you are speaking. Do you hold any qualifications and who with to make disability judgments

An assessment provider (HCP) does not need to have any qualifications or any medical knowledge in any specific conditions. PIP and the work capability assessment have nothing to do with any diagnosis.
  • danho811
    danho811 Community member Posts: 58 Connected

How long did you wait for a descsion

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this but my experience was a good one as well.
    I applied early Feb this year, had my assessment late April (via telephone)  she was a lovely lady, my assessment only lasted 30 mins, as this was the first time i applied i thought that i wouldn't get it because my assessment didn't take long. I got my result via letter in a month, better out come then i was expecting.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.