Will I lose the child element if my daughter starts working alongside attending college? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I lose the child element if my daughter starts working alongside attending college?

Options
linzie78
linzie78 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I receive universal credit and I get the child element added to it as my daughter is in full time college. She has recently applied for a part time job and has been successful and her start date will be within around the next 4/5 weeks as they are waiting for a DBS check on her. She will be earning around 168.96 per week. Will I lose the child element of my universal credit because she will be working, even though she will still be in full time education as well? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• linzie78
    Options
    Is anyone able to help with this please? 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Hi

Your UC is not affected by your child’s income.  You will get the child element in your UC for her provided she is under 20 and counts as a “qualifying young person” under UC rules.  This includes most young people studying for their GCSEs or A levels or who are doing approved training.  Hope this helps. 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • linzie78
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying! She hasn’t started yet as she is waiting for a DBS check. She is in full time college and will be leaving in a couple of months or so. She turns 19 in august this year. I still get child benefit for her too. Am I right in thinking I will continue to get child benefit and the child element of universal credit until 31st august this year even if she finishes college and her exams earlier, possibly June time? If successful in her job she will only be working 16 hours until she leaves full time college anyway. Should I advise UC and child benefit if/when she gets the job though? Thanks again for your help. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:

Hi

Your UC is not affected by your child’s income.  You will get the child element in your UC for her provided she is under 20 and counts as a “qualifying young person” under UC rules.  This includes most young people studying for their GCSEs or A levels or who are doing approved training.  Hope this helps. 

The rules for UC are different to tax credits and child benefit. For UC the child element only continues until the 31st August following their 19th birthday, if they remain in full time non advanced education.
    @Linzie78 I don't know about the child element of UC. For child benefit, it depends on when her college course ends...

When approved education or training ends

When your child leaves approved education or training, payments will stop at the end of February, 31 May, 31 August or 30 November (whichever comes first).

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • linzie78
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help, poppy. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still find the school leavers rules very confusing.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Hi

Just to add to what poppy123456 and linzie78 have posted.

Child benefit

If your daughter leaves college in June or July this summer, she will count as a “Qualifying Young Person” for Child Benefit purposes until what is referred to as the “Terminal Date” and in this situation the Terminal Date will be 31 August 2022.

But! Under the Terminal Date rule a child does not count as a qualifying young person for Child Benefit purposes if she leaves non–advanced education and starts remunerative employment and a claimant’s Child Benefit will be affected.  However, remunerative work means that the young person works 24 hours a week or more and the work is done in expectation of payment. So, in your situation, if your daughter finishes college in, say, June and increases her hours to 24 or more, your entitlement to Child Benefit will stop and you should notify HMRC of change in circumstances.  

UC

The rules are slightly different and simpler. A “Qualifying Young Person” for UC is someone who is between 16 and 20 up to but not including the 1 September following their 19th birthday provided they were enrolled on a course of non advanced education.  As your daughter was enrolled at college before her 19th birthday you will get the child element for her up to and including the 1 September following her 19th birthday.

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • linzie78
    Options
    Thats a great help, sue! Thank you so much. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @linzie78. It is the very least you deserve. How are you doing at the moment? I hope you are doing well but if you need anything we are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • CharlesMullen
    CharlesMullen Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When your daughter starts her part-time job and begins earning £168.96 per week, it could potentially affect your Universal Credit, specifically the child element.

This thread is from March 2022 and your advice is not correct at all. As you can see from the previous comments in the thread, if you read them. A qualifying young person that works while their parents are still claiming child element for them will not affect their UC. Their payments will continue as normal.

In the UK, Universal Credit takes into account the income and circumstances of all household members.
    That's not quite correct either. In some situations UC doesn't take into consideration all household members. 

For example, if a couple have 2 adult children living with them then their UC will not take into consideration their circumstances unless the parents are claiming help with any rent and then there maybe a non dependant deduction, if the adults are over the age of 21 and working. Unless either of the parents are claiming either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living, in which case there will be no non dependant deductions. 

If their children are under the age of 21 then there will be no non dependant deductions, regardless of their Income. There will also be no non dependant deductions if their adult son or daughter are claiming a qualifying disability benefit i mentioned above.

If no help with the rent is being claimed there will be no non dependant deductions at all.

If there are non dependant deductions it's a stardard amount of £85.73/month for each adult son/daughter. Full details of non dependant deductions can be seen here. https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/benefits/universal_credit/deductions_from_universal_credit_for_non-dependants

Mulitple people can live together in the same house but are not part of the same household for benefits purposes. I live with my adult daughter, we both have disabilities. I claim ESA and PIP and she claims UC and PIP. My benefits are mine and hers are her own, we are not part of the same household for either of our benefits entitlement.

It's important when giving benefits advice that the information you give isn't misleading because members could read this and think it's correct but it isn't.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.