Back and Hip pains and cannot walk probably? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back and Hip pains and cannot walk probably?

Options
Catherine712
Catherine712 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hello, I am new here. I have been suffering from pains in my back badly and cannot  walk probably, now I have a hip problem with pain as well. I was referred to the physiotherapist clinic end of February 2022, I have to wait for a least 8 weeks for an appointment. 

I have rang my doctors up a few times to ask could I have a scan or an X Ray, each time they say NO. I am shuffling when I walk and I am as slow as a snail 🐌 . He wouldn’t even put it as urgent so I have to wait, all he suggested was do exercises which would hurt to do them. 

Anyone have any advice please? Thank you 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello @Catherine712 and welcome to the community :) Thanks for reaching out this evening.

While you wait for the physio, one of the best things I find for any ongoing pain in those areas of the body is heat, so hot baths or showers if you are able, and painkillers. This will help the muscles around your hips and back relax more, so you'll be able to move more freely, even if only for a limited time.

As someone with many years previous experience of physiotherapy, sadly you'll find there will be more (potentially) painful exercises on the way. You've said they 'would hurt to do them', have you given them a try consistently? Exercises and stretching do have a positive long term effect on your mobility, so you may have to persevere.  

Perhaps you could speak to your GP about pain management strategies? I know a lot of our members will have similar experiences as well, so hopefully they can share any thoughts or anecdotal advice.

Please do ask if you have any other queries, and enjoy exploring the forum. 

Alex

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Have you considered consulting with a chiropractor they do cost but in my own experience money well spent.
  • eleanorpr
    eleanorpr Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Catherine712

maybe try hydrotherapy. Many public swimming centres have hydrotherapy pools and even if you’re not a great swimmer, just walking around in a hydrotherapy pool can help. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the group @Catherine712 and @eleanorpr sorry to hear about your pain Catherine i am sure you will find lots of ideas to help you.

When you get the chance both have a look around the site you can join in any of the threads or try doing one yourself ie; question/game story about an event anything really.

You will find lots of friendly and helpful people on the site.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Catherine712 - & welcome to the community. It must be more than frustrating that you have to wait so long for a physio appointment.
    I agree with Alex that heat (& stretching) is often helpful, tho not that future, or any exercise, should be painful. Anything that increases pain can be counter-productive, as more pain increases the pain cycle. Exercise should instead be started within your 'pain free' zone, & built up slowly, Exercises should be done a few times a day for a few minutes, & built up gradually. If you haven't as yet been given guidance about exercise, then of course this is difficult. All I can say (as a long retired physio) is try to remain as active as you can; don't sit for too long, keep getting up & walk around a little every 15 or so minutes.
    Perhaps also ask your GP for some exercises he considers appropriate, as he knows your medical history.
    Hi @eleanorpr - welcome to the community to you also. Would also agree with your recommendation of hydrotherapy, tho the warmer the water the better!
  • Catherine712
    Options
    UPDATE:: Thank you to everyone who replied to my post.  A lot has happened since that post, I saw a physiotherapist 26th April 2022 she was a lovely lady and was I  given some exercises to do both at the clinic and at home.  She said she will have a chat with her colleague about my assessment, next day I got a call from her saying that I was being referred to another clinic for Musculoskeletal issues. Which I have now been to see a lovely man who was willing to listen and take everything onboard what I was telling him. I had another assessment with him and he said he would like me to have X rays of my hips, groins, pelvic area, and have an MRI. I have had the X rays and I am having the MRI this Friday the 27th May 2022, he put it down as urgent to have it. I am still having problems walking so hopefully I will find out what the problem is. I have a follow up appointment with the man from the Musculoskeletal clinic on the 16th June for all the results, he did mention what I don’t have, but mentioned one illness but I don’t want to say anything until I have the results.  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Catherine712

Thanks for the update, and it's good to hear that you are finally receiving the support you need. All the best for your tests.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Really glad your under the clinic now @Catherine712 they are brilliant have you had an mri before, there very noisy but when you see the images wow it's fantastic to see. Good luck with all.
  • Catherine712
    Options
    SueHeath, yes I have had an MRI before but a long time again. I didn’t like it then either, so a friend of mine suggested talking to my doctor about it and get a diazepam tablet to help me through it as I have to be in the MRI an hour. So I spoke with the doctor yesterday and he agreed to let me have a tablet of small doze. They don’t normally show the patients the images. I am in the U.K. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with your MRI, be good to see the results and know what's going on.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I always see my images when i go back to the clinic (hospital) @Catherine712 years ago they used to pin them up all round the room my last one this year my consaltant showed me it on his computer monitor.
    Don't see them if the GP or physio call for them.
  • Tom47xxy
    Tom47xxy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here, so hello to everyone.
    I too have a bad back. I have recently had an MRI and the results came back as narrowing of the channels where the nerves come through, and my spine, lumbar area is showing as degenerative.
    I have an appointment to see a senior in te spine clinic on the 13th of June.
    I have pulled my back around 15 or do times, and each time is always worse than the last. I was taking Morphine this time and the last, and although it helped with the pain, it was also causing problems with my mental health. I have depression and anxiety too. Those 2 weeks were my darkest and something I never want to feel again.
    My pain was excruciating! I also had sciatica too as a result from my back pain. It's becoming much better, but still, trying to walk a little distance is difficult and I have a walking stick too. 
    I also have Klienfelter Syndrome 47xxy. I believe it's playing it's part in this too.
    I'm all on my own, and trying to deal with a lot, including losing my sister last year and my best friend the year before. My sister was just 47 I'm 49. Life can be so cruel. Thank you for reading this.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Morning @Tom47xxy welcome to our great group.
    You have/are going through a lot.
    Hope you find some comfort, friendship and support within our group.
    Some of us pop in and out of the site during the day, so i am sure you will be greeted by others when they wake up.
  • Kendo861
    Kendo861 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hi all im waiting for mri scans for my psoriatic arthritis with rheumatology since March and when I rang on Friday they told me there is a 40week waiting list
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It certainly sounds as though you've had a lot on your plate @Tom47xxy

I hope that your appointment on the 13th goes well, and that they're able to help you get your pain under control. Let us know how it goes :)

As you've mentioned living with depression and anxiety, and having experienced some dark periods, I was just wondering whether you feel as though you're receiving enough support to help you manage your mental health at the moment? 

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your sister and your best friend. How have you been finding the grieving process? If you'd like to talk to someone who understands some of what you're going through, Cruse are available :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a long waiting list @kendo861 :( Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your symptoms in the meantime? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Catherine712
    Options
    ANOTHER UPDATE. Tuesday the 21st June 2022

Hello everyone, I have had the results from the MRI and X rays I had done.

1) I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both hips and my back, more in the left hip and back. 
        I am going back for more physiotherapy on the 13th July 2022 to see if it will help if not  they will offer me with an injection or something else. 

2) I have also been diagnosed with Myelopathy, we all have fluid in the back of our neck where the spinal cord is, but I have too much fluid there. 

3) I was diagnosed with Clonus after an assessment last week when I went back for the results. 

I have now been referred to see a Neurologist which I am waiting for an appointment to be sent. Probably be having a Brain Scan I think by what I have been told. 

I have updated the details on my UC account today, I haven’t heard anything yet about the Assessment interview I had on the 8th June 2022, it will take time as they have so many to do. 

There were other things I was told at the results meeting but only little things. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Catherine712 thankyou for update, its good to finally know what's going on,  so you can move forward with treatments and medications etc. How do you feel with your results? I hope physio works well for you.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Ahh @Catherine712 so please you've had your scans and results - i think thats half the battle knowing whats wrong your on the hospital system now so you will be in a better place to move forward - happy for you.
  • Catherine712
    Options
    @Sandy_123, Hello, thank you for answering my post.

I am very glad I finally got the results of what is going on and having the physiotherapy will be very helpful ( I hope lol ) I still have the Neurologist to see so have to wait for that. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.