I wasn't awarded PIP mobility. I now need an adapted car for driving. What should I do next? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wasn't awarded PIP mobility. I now need an adapted car for driving. What should I do next?

Options
mitchcp
mitchcp Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I am 19. I was assessed for PIP in 2019 when I was 16. They awarded me Enhanced Daily Living and no mobility. I have cerebral palsy and I am currently doing driving lessons. For me to drive a car safely I require adaptions on the car, which my instructor has. At the time in 2019, I did not know much about the process and was happy just to get something and was so relieved and didnt know you had to have certain components for the mobility car scheme.

I am now in a position, I need the car for driving. Any advice on what to do next as I have no professional support in my life as though I am disabled, I am independent?

Thanks,
Mitch :)  
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether you'll qualify for any mobility will totally depend on how your conditions affect you because PIP isn't about a diagnosis. You can report changes but there's always some risk to your current award. You will need Enhanced mobility to be able to qualify for a vehicle through motability.
    As no one here knows exactly how your conditions affect you then you should get some expert advice before doing anything else. For this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mitchcp and welcome to the community, thanks for your question :)

If you'd like a few more details on what questions are covered in the PIP form about mobility you can see the page from Citizens Advice on how to fill in your claim form, it's section 14: moving around.

I have CP and drive an adapted car myself, and I use a Motability car because I've been awarded the enhanced rate for mobility. It may be that some Motability grants are also available to help towards adaptions, but these depend on the circumstances around your PIP application.

Please ask if there's anything you need a hand with further, and keep us updated with how you get on.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mitchcp
    Options
    I have already claimed and been claiming for a couple years. No one at DWP/PIP seem to care that I need help
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @mitchcp. Have you had a look at the criteria for PIP mobility?
    To qualify for a Motability car you need to receive Enhanced mobility with you PIP.
    This means scoring 12 points from the descriptors I've copied below. The wording can be quite confusing so let us know if you have any questions. 

Descriptors

The descriptors for Activity 1 are -

1. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points
    2. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points
    3. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points
    4. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points
    5. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points
    6. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points

The descriptors for Activity 2 are -

1. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    2. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    3. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    4. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    5. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    6. Cannot, either aided or unaided - (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

Community Manager
    Scope
  • mitchcp
    Options
    Hello @Adrian_Scope.

I scored 4 for mobility and I know my circumstances havent changed and never will as my condition is lifelong and will stay the same.

How am I meant to score 12 points if I am slightly able but still need a car adapted for me to be able to drive? Its so unfair and is a tick box exercise for the DWP
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    When looking at the descriptors and what scores points, do you agree that the 4 points is an accurate reflection of your current mobility?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mitchcp
    Options
    Yes I think its probably fair because I am not a severe case of my disability however I still need the adaptions to drive.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You can still get adaptions to cars to suit your needs the only thing is without the pip award you will have to finance a car and adaptions yourself 

You can get adapted cars second hand that have been returned or sold on 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, needing an adapted car isn't part of the criteria for mobility PIP. Whether you qualify will totally depend on how far you're able to walk outside on a flat surface and can you walk that distance regularly and reliably.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.