If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Back Pain

Options
Donna444
Donna444 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi 👋 
I was looking online for some answers and came across this forum. 

Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice they can give me. 

I have suffered from back pain for many years but for the last year it has worsened. 

If hoover one room or bed over to clean the bath I am in agony with the pain, it's in the middle and lower back. The pain is always there but becomes excruciating with certain activities, to the point I am sometimes bent over for a good 15-20mins before I can straighten up. It's a throb cramp type pain. 

I also experience pain in my neck and shoulders and have has 2 frozen shoulders and one occasion where my neck completely siezed up and I couldn't move it. 

I am mid 30s, have had no injuries/accidents. I have tried physio in the past and Dr wise they just continue to give me painkillers. 

It's really getting me down and impacting on my life now. 

Thank you for reading x

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good Morning @Donna444 welcome to this fantastic, friendly group.
    I am afraid that we are not doctors darling, just a group of normal people with our own medical problems, saying that there are some very knowledgeable people that can give us lots of advise, don't let that put you of please as i know you will get a lot out of the forum.

Firstly have you asked the doctor to send you for an xray or mri, as you have said you've had your back problem long enough, it's now time to make sure there is nothing going on. I have found with my own back problem the process with the doctors, you have to go back a number of times before they think of further investigation. 

I am sure more of the group will greet you when they wake up ha ha, some of us pop in and out of the site during the day.
    I found your post in the pain categorie so when you have chance to look around i would start there. Just press on the top part in the box in it will open all lots of threads (conversations) press on any you want to read.

I look forward to seeing you around.

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Donna444 said:
    Hi 👋 
    I was looking online for some answers and came across this forum. 

Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice they can give me. 

I have suffered from back pain for many years but for the last year it has worsened. 

If hoover one room or bed over to clean the bath I am in agony with the pain, it's in the middle and lower back. The pain is always there but becomes excruciating with certain activities, to the point I am sometimes bent over for a good 15-20mins before I can straighten up. It's a throb cramp type pain. 

I also experience pain in my neck and shoulders and have has 2 frozen shoulders and one occasion where my neck completely siezed up and I couldn't move it. 

I am mid 30s, have had no injuries/accidents. I have tried physio in the past and Dr wise they just continue to give me painkillers. 

It's really getting me down and impacting on my life now. 

Thank you for reading x

Hi Donna444,

I have lumbar & cervical spondylosis (and waiting on MRI results to confirm spinal stenosis).   The pain you describe when hoovering resonates with me; just the slight bend forward to manage the hoover causes, as you describe, excruciating pain.  That starts at the base of my spine and the longer I stand the further up my back and around my waist the pain spreads.  It also goes across my right buttock and down to the front of my leg (this is what the MRI was for).  The only way to relieve it is to lie down.  It`s not just hoovering that causes it; cleaning my teeth to washing pots triggers the pain.

In comparison to yourself, I`m fortunate in that "mostly" the cervical spondylosis doesn`t affect me during the day.  It does, however, affect me when in bed in that the pinkie, ring and middle fingers of both hands are completely numb at times.  Rearranging my pillow stops whatever was pinching the nerves.

Like you, in the early days of my diagnosis (over 20 years ago), I was given physio which included a stretching machine; whatever was tried, just made it worse.  So much so that I now refuse to let a physiotherapist anywhere near my back.

You might not have spondylosis, but it`s something to consider.

Andy

• Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Donna444! 👋 Welcome to Scope. It is fantastic you are trying to find ways of helping yourself. I feel your pain; it sounds like you have a lot to cope with. I have experienced back pain myself. I found this link you may like to have a look at: https://painconcern.org.uk/

Good luck and take care 😊 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.