Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Will my pay increase in April? How does the tax threshold work? Can I claim for work equipment?

Options
mccaddam
mccaddam Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2022 in Work and employment
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and seeing if anyone can help me. my dad said this site is very good so thought I would give it ago.

I am currently working doing agency work in a warehouse and I am currently on £9.78ph. will this go up at all in April ? If so how much. also HMRC said to me from the 6th April 2022 I will not pay any tax untill I reach my limit for the threshold is this correct? also they even said I can claim for my work boots / laptop I use for work as well as a drill I couldn't believe it ! she also said because I am a temporary worker I can get money back. made up! 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,012 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mccaddam good evening and welcome to scope, from April this year the NMW will be £9.50 an hour if you are over 23 years of age, the best people to advise you on pay and tax will be the agency.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your hourly rate is more than NMW which is currently £8.91, which will be increasing to £9.50 from April for people aged 23 and over. There fore it's down to your employer with you have a pay increase.
    The standard Tax free personal allowance is £12,550 so you will pay tax on earnings above this amount. https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates
    You can claim tax relief on things like work clothes and tools etc. This is far beyond my knowledge so can't give any further advice on that sorry. More information here. https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The standard Tax free personal allowance is £12,550 
    £12,570.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    mccaddam said:
    If so how much. also HMRC said to me from the 6th April 2022 I will not pay any tax untill I reach my limit for the threshold is this correct? 
    If you are paid through PAYE you usually pay tax each month on the assumption that you will continue to earn at the same rate for the whole tax year and taking into account what you have already earned in the year. In the first month, if you earn more than £1048 I would expect you to pay some tax.
    If it didn’t work like that someone would receive higher net pay in the first few months of the year and then reduced amounts for the rest of the year, which would make budgeting very difficult.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The standard Tax free personal allowance is £12,550 
    £12,570.
    Thanks. I have no idea why i put those figures because i looked before i commented. Clearly didn't register the figures correctly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    poppy123456 said:..I have no idea why i put those figures because i looked before i commented. 
    I assumed it was simply a typing error.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @mccaddam I put a claim in to HMRC for washing my uniform and buying my own work shoes my tax code went up by an extra £60.

Check out the tax site that Poppy put up.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,507 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @mccaddam :) I'm glad your dad recommended us to you! 

I can see that your pay and tax questions have been answered. Are you clearer on those now? 

As for the equipment, definitely do check out the link poppy123456 has posted. Did you buy your own drill and boots? Are you using your own laptop? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.