How can a Government Department care so little for staff with mental health issued — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can a Government Department care so little for staff with mental health issued

Chemist243
Chemist243 Scope Member Posts: 34 Connected
edited May 2022 in Work and employment
During Covid 19 staff I worked a great deal from home being compelled to due to the situation. In that time my physical health became poor - I have an orthotic appliance. 
Working in isolation harmed my mental health-meetings on MS Teams was not the same as working in my office with others.
Since December 2021 I have not been allowed to go into my office because the internal lift has been condemned. My mental health worsened and I was given a fit note for 4 weeks. This is the second spell of sickness in a 12 month period.
I am now to be subjected to a Health Absence Improvement Meeting which causes me more stress. The letter informs me that one outcome could be dismissal.
This is a travesty as the (Removed name of employer) , my manager has prevented me from working in the office, suggested unworkable solutions and seems oblivious to anything other than treating me as part of a process.
(Removed name of employer) has e-reading about mental health and thinks this is all they need to provide to promote good mental health. Sadly it feels as if their care for staff is in words only; the reality is it does not.
I am angry about the way I am treated in what should be the foremost of good practice organizations.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Our daughter works in the UK for an American bank, recently she returned to the office exactly two years after being sent  to work from home, however she is only working for the foreseeable future 2 days in the office and 3 days at home, being a single mother she has to pay for child care and all the other cost of working in the city centre.

Working from home for two years has saved her literally thousands and only working away from home in the longer term will also save her thousands.
    During the two years working from home she has been promoted twice and now oversees elements of the bank in Belgium and the Netherlands.
    I asked her recently if she thought that working from home had been a positive experience, her answer was that for her it was neither good nor bad but for her 8 year old son it had been very positive.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chemist243
    I am so glad that your daughter’s experience was so positive. For me with my 30 year old son (schizophrenia), my Wife (bipolar) and younger working son (24) the novelty was good at first. From December when everyone else returned, until now, less than splendid isolation has been detrimental.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning both.

My hair dressers husband works for an employment agency, he worked from home for a full two years, he set up office space in their bedroom, as they have young children. Jo (hair dresser) said he became very with drawn and over time he even stopped going out for family walks.

When it was time to start going back to the office, only two days a week to start, he couldn't do it, the  whole situation had caused a massive impact on his mental health, he is now under the doctor for this. At the moment his work is allowing him to carry on working from home. I do feel quite a few people will be affected this way, it's very sad.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that this has had such a negative affect on you @Davidrjgreen. Though working from home has been really positive for some, such as @woodbine's daughter, it's important to remember that the experience hasn't been so positive for everyone. 

I can see why you might have some concerns about a Health Absence Improvement Meeting, especially if one of the outcomes listed is a dismissal. Do you mind me asking whether any other outcomes are listed on the letter? Could this prove to be a good opportunity to bring up adjustments that could be made to help you get back to work, if that's what you'd like to happen? For example, could you bring up getting the lift fixed, or ways you could reconnect with your colleagues to improve your mental health? I'd hope that they'd be open to finding ways to help you be happy and succeed in the workplace. 

Are you, your eldest son, and your wife receiving enough support to help you manage your respective mental health conditions at the moment?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chemist243
    Thank you for your note. The help has dwindled of late but there are plans afoot to increase interactions, so I look forward to this.
  • Tori_Scope
    That sounds positive @Chemist243 :) How are you getting on?

• Chemist243
    I am receiving support from the IAPT team and involved with looking into psychological approaches. The local mental healthcare practitioner has given me excellent support and advice and has given me access to her as necessary. Such a comfort to me in conjunction with my GP.
  • TiredofPain7
    TiredofPain7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I believe no matter what kind of work you do, if your supervisor or Board of Directors has no one who is handicapped, they simply do not understand.   If you dont understand, you begin not to care.  Soon you just do the minimum regulations to get your own paycheck.  I may not totally know what is meant as I live in the USA and our wording is often a bit different.  But I have always thought the more powerful and rich an employer is, the less they care about the life circumstances of their employees.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
  • Tori_Scope
    That's great to hear @Chemist243 :) A supportive team can make all the difference!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.