Housing help on benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing help on benefits

Options
scared
scared Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi,

So I claim Universal credit, PIP and Limited capability for work. I'm aware that you can claim via universal credit for the housing element, a monthly amount towards your rent, and that it takes 5 weeks from putting in your claim to get your first payment. If you need help with the upfront first months rent, does Universal credit do this, or do they always pay the monthly rent a month after, so for example I will have to find the money to pay the 1st month upfront, then Universal credit pays it 5 weeks after, then if I ever leave the house in the future, I pay my last amount of rent on 1st March for example, I'm out of the house by the end of March, then universal credits last payment would be 6th April or something? So UC will pay all of my rent I just have to find the first month up front, which I will get back. I hope that makes sense. Also if I moved house would my PIP and work capability be reassessed? And 1 last thing, would I also get my council tax paid for? I need to move out and I have never done it before. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    When you claim UC you can request an advance payment, however this is a loan which has to be paid back in a maximum of 24 months by deduction from future payments.

If you are claiming UC the help with rent for the whole monthly assessment period is based on your rent liability on the last day of the month.

If you move house it does not affect PIP or your work capability status.

Council Tax Reduction is claimed from your local authority and, as each local authority can vary the rules, entitlement will depend on the rules for your local authority.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • scared
    Options
    calcotti said:
    When you claim UC you can request an advance payment, however this is a loan which has to be paid back in a maximum of 24 months by deduction from future payments.

If you are claiming UC the help with rent for the whole monthly assessment period is based on your rent liability on the last day of the month.

If you move house it does not affect PIP or your work capability status.

Council Tax Reduction is claimed from your local authority and, as each local authority can vary the rules, entitlement will depend on the rules for your local authority.
    Thank you for your reply. I am not too sure what you mean in your 2nd statement about the rent liability, please could you explain that for me? It's just all confusing and you dont get your first rent payment until 5 weeks after.
  • scared
    Options
    For example lets say I move out on the 1st April, so I make a claim on UC for help with rent on 1st April. I've paid my first month upfront on 1st April. Then on 1st May I've paid my 2nd rent. On 6th may (5 weeks later) my UC payment for rent has come in. Then on 1st June I've paid my 3rd rent. On 6th June I get my 2nd UC Rent payment. And lets say I'm only living here for 3 months, so the 30th June or 1st July is my last day in the house. Will UC pay my rent on 6th July for the 3rd rent, or will they not? Thank you
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The help with rent is included as part of your normal UC payments paid on your normal UC payment day.

Let’s say your UC assessment period is 20th to 19th of the month.

You move into a property on 1st April. Because you are liable for rent on 19th April your UC for 20th March to 19th April (payable on 26th April) will include your rent liability calculated for the whole period from 20th March even though you only became liable on 1st April. 

If you then move out on 1st July and no longer have any liability for rent then your payment for 20th June to 19th July will not include any help with rent because you have no liability on 19th July.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also please note uc will only pay your full housinf costs if in social housing . If you rent private they only pay the local housing allowance for the type of 0roperty you are entitled to eg 1 bed or shared rate 

Any shortfall in rent you will need to fund yourself 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Also please note uc will only pay your full housinf costs if in social housing .
    Unless you have spare bedrooms, then you'll have a deduction in your rent because of the bedroom tax.
    janer1967 said:
    If you rent private they only pay the local housing allowance for the type of 0roperty you are entitled to eg 1 bed or shared rate 

That's not quite right. If privately renting you will only receive LHA rate for the area you live, based on your circumstances. For example, if you're a single person over the age of 35 then you'll receive the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for that I didn't word it correct but did say for the property they were entitled to should have said based on circumstances 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.