Housework help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housework help

Options
john32170386
john32170386 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi
Looking for some info and advice.
I am a carer to my wife who apart from physical disabilities has got severe mental health problems.
I myself have disabilities that leave me exhausted and do not allow me to do very much physical housework, we get benefits like PIP, but we also take a lot of herbal supplements, which are not cheap and at the end of the day we end up with very little surplus/spare cash, if at all after all the price increases we all will be facing this year.
My problem is i am finding it increasingly difficult getting our housework done, including the garden, and some areas are getting too dirty to be healthy. We cannot have a Carers Assessment or community care assessment, as we both got a distrust of Social Services, in particular, my wife and it would cause her mental distress. Also, they may claim we have too much money coming in and could cut back on supplements heating, etc.
But we need help with gardening and some housework, we cannot afford to pay minimum wages and therefore need funding or a volunteer to come in. Has anybody got any idea how to find a volunteer or get some funding without involving social services?
We live extremely rural in the highlands of Scotland and there are not many volunteer services say like in Wales’s age Cymru offers cleaning help.
Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @john32170386

Thanks for posting your question, sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult to carry out things like house work and gardening. 

Firstly, do you and / or your wife receive any support to manage your conditions? you mentioned having a distrust of social services which I acknowledge, but are you in contact with your GP or medical team for support to manage with things?

You touched on PIP in your post, but are you and your wife receiving all the financial support that you are entitled to? Filling out a benefits calculator would help to estimate that, and you can find one here on the Turn2Us website.

Do you have any family or friends who can support you with any of these tasks in the meantime? I am not aware of any organisations or services in your local area that could support with housework and gardening on a voluntary basis, so apologies for that. Hopefully other members will be able to suggest something for you. 

Regarding social services, is there anything that has caused you to become quite distrustful of them?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi have a look on your council website my council offer handy men for people who can't do, they do have a criteria, not sure if it fits yours or if your council offer the service, I'm not aware of the cost involved, so may be of interest.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.