ESA & Occupational sick pay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & Occupational sick pay

Options
HelenESA
HelenESA Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My husband is unwell and has been unable to work and received SSP for 28 weeks as well as reduced 1/2 pay from his employer. His employer gave him form SSP1and will continue to pay him reduced 1/2 pay while he is unable to return to work.  Can someone please tell me if he would qualify for new style ESA contributory benefit. He continues to be unfit for work with continuation sick certificates from his doctor. His  employer pays him a reduced income which is in excess of £152 a week that my husband pays tax & N.I on. Prior to being unwell he has worked continuously for many years with a full N.I contribution record so I know that he ticks that box. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @HelenESA

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I hope you've had a nice Saturday so far. 

Sorry to hear that your husband isn't well at the moment, does he have a time in mind for going back to work? It must be frustrating for him to not be able to work, hopefully he gets better soon.

I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion over to our ESA category which you might find it useful to browse for related discussions. This is a very supportive and welcoming community so I'm sure you'll enjoy taking part here. 

Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • flour
    flour Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    edited April 2022
    Options
    He should claim new style ESA as soon as SSP ends and you get the SSP1 form.

Even if you continue to get payments from the employers own company sick pay beyond SSP ending. He can apply online at gov . uk or if he has difficulty online he can call the universal credit helpline to start the claim on the phone.

You can backdate the start date of ESA by up to 3 months.

You'll need to give the fit notes to both the DWP as well as the employer. You can give it to the DWP online or make a copy and post it by free post. 

If he became ill or disabled due to an accident or disease from work there is also Industrial Injuries disablement benefit and if you are on a low income universal credit. You can claim universal credit and ESA together at the same time. Universal Credit will stop any tax credits or other legacy benefits though so use a benefit calculator such as 'entitled to' as a starting point to make sure you'll be better off.

He might want to think about PIP. He's already had difficulties for 3 months and should claim if  there is a fair chance he'll have difficulties for the next 9 months. Pip takes a long time to arrange (around 10 months) and doesn't pay any money until then so it often makes sense to file a claim and then wait and see. 

Often, at times like this when there is a big change it's a good idea to do a benefits check with citizens advice. To make sure your claiming everything you're entitled to and to arrange help with forms. 
    Remember that people come on to this forum who may be in a vulnerable state and kindness goes a long way. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • HelenESA
    Options
    flour said:
    You claim new style ESA as soon as SSP ends and you get the SSP1 form.

Even if you continue to get payments from the employers own company sick pay beyond SSP ending. He can apply online at gov . uk or if he has difficulty online he can call the universal credit helpline to start the claim on the phone.

You'll need to give the fit notes to both the DWP as well as the employer. You can give it to the DWP online or make a copy and post it by free post. 

If he became ill or disabled due to an accident or disease from work there is also Industrial Injuries disablement benefit and if you are on a low income universal credit. You can claim universal credit and ESA together at the same time. Universal Credit will stop any tax credits or other legacy benefits though so use a benefit calculator such as 'entitled to' as a starting point to make sure you'll be better off.

He might want to think about PIP. He's already had difficulties for 3 months and should claim if  there is a fair chance he'll have difficulties for the next 9 months. Pip takes a long time to arrange (around 10 months) and doesn't pay any money until then so it often makes sense to file a claim and then wait and see. 
    Thank you flour for your helpful reply. Am I right in thinking then that the must not earn more than £152 to be eligible rule only applies to those that are actually working and therefore because my husband is doing no work he can still earn in excess of £152 and be eligible for new style ESA contributory?
  • flour
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi Helen

I understand now. This is about the Permitted Work limit of £152 per week in 2022/23 and making sure if the payment from work is considered.

As he is not providing a service he cannot be considered to be working and therefore he is not doing permitted work and so the £152 and other rules don't apply.

Indeed company sick pay can typically go on for up to 18 months (or longer depending on the employer) yet SSP runs out after the first 6 months and then new style ESA starts.
    Remember that people come on to this forum who may be in a vulnerable state and kindness goes a long way. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    HelenESA said: Am I right in thinking then that the must not earn more than £152 to be eligible rule only applies to those that are actually working and therefore because my husband is doing no work he can still earn in excess of £152 and be eligible for new style ESA contributory?
    You are correct. Occupational sick pay is ignored for new style ESA. The permitted work limit of £152/week is not relevant as he is not working. He should claim the ESA to start the day after the SSP end date.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • HelenESA
    Options

It shows as normal salary on his payslip and his employer have said that they will continue to pay at the reduced rate while he is not working. His employer may have insurance that pays them to cover the payment but if they do he does not know about it. My husband still receives his wage direct from his employer and gets Tax & N.I deducted in the normal way. If his employer has insurance to cover them making the payment could it make a difference to my husband not being eligible for receiving new style ESA or reducing the payment he may possibly receive?

• HelenESA
    Options
    Thank you Ross_Scope  flour and calcotti for all your useful help. I suddenly don't feel so alone. He will be off work for quite some time and the whole process is quite daunting. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    HelenESA said:
    If his employer has insurance to cover them making the payment could it make a difference to my husband not being eligible for receiving new style ESA or reducing the payment he may possibly receive?
    Not if he remains employed. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HelenESA said:
    Thank you Ross_Scope  flour and calcotti for all your useful help. I suddenly don't feel so alone. He will be off work for quite some time and the whole process is quite daunting. 
    Yes it can certainly be very daunting, and I'm sorry to hear that you have previously felt alone. Always remember that this community is here if you or your husband ever want to join in. We do have numerous categories about benefits but also others about more general subjects where we talk about movies, music and other fun topics :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Have you used a benefits calculator to check eligibility for any means tested benefits?
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
  • flour
    edited April 2022
    Options
    HelenESA said:
    You're very welcome Helen.

Many people find the whole process quite overwhelming but you've made a much better start than many. 

A lot will instead live off savings etc as opposed to start looking in to contribution based benefits asap and wait until it's too late as their last full year of NI slips too far into the past. They are then left with Universal Credit only. So you're already off to a great start.

Make sure to look after both yourself and your husbands state of mind as the paperwork can be stressful. This could mean sharing the load by getting help from other agencies for filling in forms such as the Citizens Advice or a charity connected with his health condition. Also spread out answering the form over a couple of weeks if you can as it'll take the pressure off.

In addition, do not feel pressured by the paper work. For example if a form asks a question which does not fit in with his health. Do not feel pressured to tick a box - instead write your not ticking a box because none apply and then explain why instead and then go on to explain the difficulties.

PIP
    I would suggest starting PIP too. There no time limit on applying for PIP (unlike NS ESA in payment) but because the delays are so long it's better to get in the queue sooner. You can also get extra time to return a PIP form.

PIP is for anyone with a health condition which they've had for 3 months and expect to have for another 9 months and which gives them some difficulty against specific tests, in practice you should always apply and try not to think 9 months ahead as health can get better or worse or stay the same (only someone with a very short term illness should not apply).

Your husband can claim PIP and new style ESA together at the same time neither are means tested (except ESA is against his pension income if he has any).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.