Universal Credit/Housing Element rate for under 35 year old, confused! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit/Housing Element rate for under 35 year old, confused!

Options
pleasehelplol
pleasehelplol Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,

I'm really confused having got conflicting answers from Universal Credit advisors all day over the phone!  :/

My situation is as follows:

I'm a 25 year old jobseeker, recently unemployed and currently living in shared accommodation, and claiming the housing element of Universal Credit. As far as I can tell, from the following links I am only entitled to the local housing allowance for shared accommodation, and not the allowance for a one bed property even if I moved to one:

https://www.gov.uk/housing-and-universal-credit/renting-from-private-landlord

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/benefits_for_under_35s_in_shared_housing

I was hoping to move to a one bedroom property soon but it seems that this will not be affordable now. 

However, some of the Universal Credit advisors seemed to suggest I am still eligible for the higher amount of local housing allowance, but I believe this is wrong. It has been passed onto my case manager to look at but I am just so confused right now. 

Has anyone here been through this process, and if so were you only entitled to the shared housing allowance?

(I should say that I do not claim PIP or have any other exemptions that would seemingly allow me to claim the higher rate of the housing element of UC). 

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• pleasehelplol
    pleasehelplol Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited April 2022
    Options
    TLDR: Under 35 on UC, can I claim housing element of UC at 1 bedroom property rate if I live in a 1 bedroom property (as opposed to the shared housing rate)?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,645 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    What you’ve been told by UC is not correct. As you correctly pointed out because you are single under 35 you will only be entitled to the shared rate of LHA even if you have a 1 bedroom place. (If you privately rent) The link you posted is correct.
    It’s worth pointing out that if you were given this advice by the UC helpline, they are not benefits advisers. The majority of them have very little benefits advice and you shouldn’t rely on them for any advice such as this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.