If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

£500 ONE OFF PAYMENT IN WALES FOR CARERS

Options
suzyk15
suzyk15 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Hi just read the government is giving  a one off payment of £500 to carers in wales.

How do we access this please. ?

I claim carer allowance /universal credit carer element will I be able to claim this one off payment ?

Thanks sue

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi @suzyk15 I believe it's anyone claiming carers allowance on 31st March who will be entitled to the payment which is a one-off and not taxable. 

The BBC article on the announcement can be read here if interested. 

The Welsh Government also published a written statement about the support payment on 23rd March.

Key information is as follows: 

"A registration process will open later this year and anyone receiving Carers Allowance on 31 March 2022 will be able to register with their local authority to claim the payment. We will publish further details about when and how to register by the end of April. 

We will work with our partners in the third sector and local authorities to publicise this payment to make sure all eligible carers are aware of their entitlement and are supported to make a claim." 

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • suzyk15
    Options
    I just thought as universal credit is means tested it would be deducted ?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    As far as I can tell from the announcement, this one-off payment relates to carers allowance, it doesn't sound as though entitlement to any other benefits will impact it. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • suzyk15
    Options
    😊 thank you
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    So pleased that my taxes are going over the border to Wales. I don't suppose that those claiming Carers Allowance in England will see such a magnanimous gesture?
    I do wonder if those receiving the SRP who care and claim carers allowance for a loved one in Wales will get a payment
  • suzyk15
    Options
    I dont make the rules !!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,250 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:

I do wonder if those receiving the SRP who care and claim carers allowance for a loved one in Wales will get a payment

If you read the link posted above it says anyone who claims carers allowance on 31st March 2022. This will include those of state pension age who have an underlying entitlement to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    poppy123456 said: If you read the link posted above it says anyone who claims carers allowance on 31st March 2022. This will include those of state pension age who have an underlying entitlement to it. 
    The official statement doesn't say that. It says "A registration process will open later this year and anyone receiving Carers Allowance on 31 March 2022.." so i would say it is unclear whether those with an 'underlying entitlement' only are included (as, by definition, they don't receive it).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: If you read the link posted above it says anyone who claims carers allowance on 31st March 2022. This will include those of state pension age who have an underlying entitlement to it. 
    The official statement doesn't say that. It says "A registration process will open later this year and anyone receiving Carers Allowance on 31 March 2022.." so i would say it is unclear whether those with an 'underlying entitlement' only are included (as, by definition, they don't receive it).
    Thankyou 
    That is what I was getting to. The statement does clearly say 'those receiving'. Having either a carers premium in UC or having an underlying entitlement will not receive the money. They will have to be physically in receipt of the benefit.

• suzyk15
    Options
    I only wanted to know if anyone claiming carers allowance carer element/universal credit will receive the £500
    ( IN WALES ONLY) As universal credit is means tested 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your great question @suzyk15. Do you feel your question has been answered now? If you need any further clarification, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are here for you and are glad you brought this to our attention  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • suzyk15
    Options
    No.id like to know im a carer claiming carers allowance also claim carer element on universal credit.if I'm entitled to rhe £500 will it be deducted as im on universal credit and its means tested ?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suzyk15

Thanks for your response. It is really important to us that you have been able to tell us that you don't feel your question has been answered. Thanks for finding that courage.

Unfortunately, this is not my area of my expertise and I would have to know what the threshold is to know if the "means-tested" is included. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge in this area will be able to respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I want you to know you have been heard. I will flag your post for someone to hopefully get back to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    suzyk15 said:
    No.id like to know im a carer claiming carers allowance also claim carer element on universal credit.if I'm entitled to rhe £500 will it be deducted as im on universal credit and its means tested ?

There's no information on that yet so you'll very likely have to wait until the registration process opens. By then they will hopefully give more information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • racyguy
    Options
    suzyk15 said:
    Re-reading the info, it would appear that for those on UC AND also receiving Carers Allowance (not just the Carers element) they would get the £500 which will not affect their UC payments.
  • suzyk15
    Options
    poppy123456 says no info yet, will see once the registration process opens up hopefully more info be given .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    At the bottom of the BBC article provided by Alex it does say this..

As well as being non-taxable, the payment will not be subject to National Insurance contributions or included as income when applying for tax credits.

I admit this is only an article. I'm sure the offical guidance will be out soon.

• suzyk15
    Options
    😊 thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

As well as being non-taxable, the payment will not be subject to National Insurance contributions or included as income when applying for tax credits.

I admit this is only an article. I'm sure the offical guidance will be out soon.
    And, even if correct, doesn't tell us whether it impacts UC. Clearly it will not affect Tax Credits if not taxable because Tax Credits only take account of taxable income. UC doesn't work like that.

Until the official guidance is expanded the question can't be answered.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:

And, even if correct, doesn't tell us whether it impacts UC.
    Until the official guidance is expanded the question can't be answered.
    Indeed, which was why i advised this.
    suzyk15 said:

There's no information on that yet so you'll very likely have to wait until the registration process opens. By then they will hopefully give more information.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.