New to the Forum. Can someone recommend a product that will generate extreme heat? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to the Forum. Can someone recommend a product that will generate extreme heat?

Options
SpinalPain
SpinalPain Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi,
My name is Dan [removed by moderator - full name] and I live is the southern most part of the United States. I have suffered with chronic (never ending) back pain since I was 20 years old. I am now 70. I’ve run the gamut for most of the available pain relief options with the exception of operations ( advised against that by Drs) and acupuncture ( would like to try that). First steroid injection lasted a couple of weeks and after that the next injections only lasted a couple of days. I walk every day and it is a great help to loosen my stiff back in the morning. 

The following are most helpful -
  1. Long walks
  2. HOT baths
  3. HOT liniments 
  4. Medical grade massage chair
  5. Long and intense massages (if I can convince my weary wife) LOL
Strong and deep heat are extremely effective towards making the pain tolerable. Super hot baths never fail, but it’s hard living your life in a bath tub. And the water cools down way too quickly :(

My main reason for joining is to inquire about the hottest of liniments and/or hot balms available.  Years back I used a product called, “Heet”. It worked great and used it daily for way over a decade. But, some years back it ceased to get hot. I actually called the company and they told me that the formula had not been changed and that they’d never heard a customer claim it no longer got hot. I now believe (my opinion) that the formula must have changed.

MY QUESTION
Can someone recommend a product that will generate extreme heat?
OR, would be interested in a formula that I could make at home to accomplish the same.

If this type of question is better posted in another place, please let me know. I tried initiating a new thread in the Back Pain forum and was unable to learn how to do so.

Thanks in Advance for any help!
Dan [removed by moderator - full name]
Thibodaux, LA
USA

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SpinalPain - & welcome to the community. No worries, it's absolutely fine posting in this section of the community.
    I think your best option would be to discuss this with your Dr to get their recommendation of what may be the most effective. The heat you gained from the 'Heet' product you mention is likely due to capsaicin, so you could ask your Dr for a cream containing a reasonably higher capsaicin level compared to that of 'Heet' nowadays.
    Also some info on capsaicin cream here: https://www.verywellhealth.com/capsaicin-cream-89045 Hope this helps.

• SpinalPain
    Options
    Thanks. The link for Capsaicin was interesting. I am considering adding Capsaicin to the hottest liniment that I am aware of. It is called, “Toast”. 

I have asked my GP Dr before but this time I’ll ask him about a heat product. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Well the 'Screamin' hot' version of 'Toast' also contains capsaicin (0.03%), so do try to discuss capsaicin content with your Dr.
  • SpinalPain
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Just ordered Zostrix. It has 0.1% Capsaicin. 

[removed by moderator - link]

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @SpinalPain :) Thank you for posting your pain management questions. Many of our members experience chronic pain, so you're not alone trying to find options that work for you. 

I've moved your post into our chronic pain and pain management category, which you may also want to scroll through. If you'd like any help working out how to post something into a specific category, please just let us know. 

I've removed your full name from your original post, and the link you posted in your latest comment. We don't allow people to post their full names on the community. This is for the safety of yourself and others. We also don't tend to allow links to paid products to be posted onto the community. You can read our other house rules here
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A warm welcome from me too @SpinalPain. Thanks for joining us. How are you today?

Hopefully, the resources already recommended help. However, if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • SpinalPain
    Options
    “Just ordered Zostrix. It has 0.1% Capsaicin.

Tried the Zostrix, little to no heat :-(. I couldn’t begin to re-count all of the liniments, balms, and heat producing creams that I’ve tried over the last 50 years. “Heet” used to work very well. It last 12 hr or more, but not anymore.

I will ask my doctor if he has any ideas. If only I could keep my lower back and neck warm, better yet hot.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.