Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Finding work again after a very long time of being unemployed due to mental health

Options
Wandering1993
Wandering1993 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi! for a bit of background - I haven't worked since my very early twenties and I am 29 now. There are a number of reasons why I haven't worked (anxiety, panic attacks etc.), but I decided to start a degree at 25 which I am coming to the end of now. 

I still struggle with anxiety but nowhere near as much as I did so I'm hoping to start looking for work once my exams are over but I am worried now about 1) explaining the massive gap to potential employers and 2) whether anyone would either consider me as I have very minimal paid work experience at my age. 

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences if they've gone through something similar as I feel a bit defeated by it at the moment. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Wandering1993 thanks for posting today, and congratulations on reaching the end of your degree! I can share what I've found useful in my own experience, as someone who did a lot of volunteering before getting a paid role.

It look me a few years of volunteering before I was able to get a paid job after my degree. I also volunteered a lot during my degree, to try and build up experience. It can feel pretty daunting if you don't feel like you have enough 'direct experience' of a job when you apply for it, but a degree gives you so many transferable skills.

Some of the ones I can think of now are time management, project management, research, team working, balancing priorities, critical thinking. There's also interpersonal skills, can you think of times you've had to argue against someone's decision, or manage someone's expectations? You can use examples from whatever parts of life you feel comfortable with, but which demonstrate your skills and competencies. 

One of the key things to practice, is having examples of skills that you've built up in your life so far, to use during the application, and then at interview. Remember that the application is to get to the interview, and the interview is to get the job itself.  

Because of my disability, I also know that I'll not be able to work full time hours, which does sometimes feel like a disadvantage, depending on the employer and job role I'm going for. Other times, this is an advantage, and I'm trying to view it in this positive way more often. Sometimes you need to switch your own mindset first!

If you're worried about this, think about persuading an employer that different ways of working are a positive thing to bring to an organisation, and that your perspective and lived experience is an asset, you'll be halfway there already.  

It's also worth taking time to consider the type of role you'd feel happiest in, is it working with the public, or in a small team, or working from home? What kind of tasks do you excel at, creative ones, or process driven work?

I hope what I've said makes sense and is useful for you. I know I've asked a lot of questions, and hopefully the answers can be a good base to build from in your search. Keep us updated with how you get on, and let me know if anything's not clear! :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Wandering1993 :). Welcome to the community! Thank you for reaching out and sharing your story. 

Well done for gradating and completely your education! 🎓 👏🏻 I feel you have so much to be proud of. Certainly volunteering shows that you are taking initiative and giving something back to society.   

I hope you have found @Alex_Scope’s response helpful.

Best wishes

Jo 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    @Wandering1993 How are you today? You may like to have a look at these resources on the Scope website:

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/

https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/

Good luck with your job search! 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Wandering1993
    Wandering1993 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Thanks, @Alex_Scope and @Jo_2022, I really appreciate both of you taking the time to reply to my message. 

@Alex_Scope, thanks so much, that was really helpful to read someone else's experiences on a situation similar to my own. I totally agree with you on the volunteering and I am definitely going to look into that as well once my exams are over. I think getting experience, even voluntary should help get me back into work-life after being away from it so long. I just worry that an even longer gap without paid work will make my CV look worse, but I guess there's no use worrying about that just yet! Thanks again. 

@Jo_2022, Thank you for the links, I will be sure to check them out! 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.