Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hobbies/activities that don’t cost money

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
Or that cost very little (say under a pound per hour of entertainment)

I’m trying to think of some, this is what I have so far:

Going for a walk / appreciating the countryside
Gardening
Books / films from a charity shop

Any others?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Great discussion topic @66Mustang :) Those are all good suggestions, I especially like spending time in the countryside. I'll add:

• Maybe baking, especially as Easter is approaching? You could even find some ingredients while on a walk, like berries
    • Visiting a local museum, usually smaller museums are free entry
    • Puzzle books
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,642 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    A lot of museums are free and hold alot of information, art gallery's can be free too, If you like that sort of thing. Birmingham, I know is miles away from you probably have 1 that's about 4 floors, all free,  london has free 1s too. There dotted about. Good thing with London, if you have a train ticket you can a booklet that gets you up to half price on tourist attractions like London Tower and a river boat etc. Also there are lots of free tours on line to places like Windsor Castle, Parliament buildings, I did a jack the ripper one recently.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Sounds good @Sandy_123 lots of the big national museums in London are free, and that's a great tip with the booklet- we sometimes stock London Planners in my local tourist information, I think you may be able to find offers on the London Planner website too :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,642 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had many of discounts with it in the past  the Tower and boat ride, madam tusards, just really tires me out london. Too much todo
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I agree @Sandy_123 it's exciting going, but always very tiring. There's almost too much choice!
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

Baking is a good one. I was actually thinking that cooking could actually come at a negative cost because it’s usually cheaper than buying ready meals or takeaways. If you have fun cooking and don’t buy a takeaway then it’s a win-win!

I like the museum/gallery suggestion too. I live quite near Cambridge myself so have quite a few I can go to most of which are free.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great question @66Mustang got my brain working anyway.
    Yes walking especially in the country side is very good for your sole- you could get a pocket book on tree's/birds/fungi/wild plants and see how many you find on a certain walk.
    During lock down one of my grand children started growing veg tops in water ie; she put the cut part of the top of a carrot and a root end of the end of a leek on to wet kitchen roll and they both grew, not into the veg them selves but leaves. x
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @SueHeath :) that sounds like a fun idea with the vegetables
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @66Mustang, me too I enjoy going for walks! I would suggest maybe listening to music and painting or drawing to unwind  :)

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Hi @Jo_2022 nice to meet you :) thanks for the suggestions. I completely forgot about music, that’s a great suggestion, it is indeed totally free on places like YouTube. I like your other ideas too though I’m not too good artistically myself. :p
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.