Pip mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip mobility

Options
Katielw2506
Katielw2506 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. Can anybody confirm please - if someone has an award of pip at standard daily living. Then a coc is done whilst the person is 65. They’ve then had standard mobility added on. But after doing MR they have determined they should get enhanced daily & mobility however cannot increase the mobility due to the claimant being over 65. But isn’t that contradictory? They’ve said if over 65 cant get a new mobility or increased mobility award - yet the standard mobility was added after 65. And isnt the mobility supposed to be inline with pension age now so as long as below pension age they can get mobility added/increased?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    The upper age limit is no longer 65. It’s state pension age which is now 66. 
    Therefore if the person is below state pension age they can be awarded mobility. 
    Who told them the mobility can’t be increased? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Katielw2506
    edited April 2022
    Options
    DWP/PIP - Thats what they have contradicted themselves on
    they had standard daily living
    we did a coc june 2021 when he was 65 
    they kept standard daily living & awarded standard mobility
    we did MR feb as we believed should of been enhanced 
    they increased daily living to enhanced
    kept mobility as standard stating that he meets the points for enhanced mobility but because it was after he turned 65 they cant award mobility or increase mobility rate 

Yet they awarded the standard mobility after 65 

he has now turned 66 in march so over state pension but im going to tribunal it because it relates to the coc from last june when 65 & therefore enhanced mobility should of been awarded as he’s now got 18 points in mobility & was below pension age when coc was done & the MR relates to that coc. Dwp have referred to 65 throughout
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    They’ve got themselves into a muddle. Because the MR is to consider whether the original decision was correct, if they now consider that at the time of the original decision, before pension age, the enhanced rate of Mobility was met then that is what should be awarded even if the MR decision itself were made after age 66 had been reached.

Indeed even if the original decision on the CoC was made after the age of 66 they could make an increased Mobility award of the CoC itself was reported before 66.

Very disturbing that they keep referring to 65.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Katielw2506
    Options
    Thats exactly what I’m going to argue with them about on Monday as the letter only came today. 
    The fact they admit to adding mobility after 65
    then say they cant add new mobility after 65 nor can it be increased completely contradicts themselves 

I’m hoping this can all be resolved on Monday without the need to go to tribunal & they’ve likely gotten something wrong & thought he was of a year of birth where his state pension age was 65 but he’s of a year of birth where his pension age was 66 which he turned after the coc & after the MR was raised 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @Katielw2506 I'm pleased to see our members have helped talk through your query last night. I've just moved the discussion over into our PIP category so it can be more easily found.

I hope the call goes well on Monday and that you're able to resolve this muddle, let us know how you get on as and when.

If we can support you further, please don't hesitate to ask, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.