Want to start working less. Any advice concerning my rights and what I could eventually claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to start working less. Any advice concerning my rights and what I could eventually claim?

Options
Mark1967
Mark1967 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2022 in Work and employment
I've recently been diagnosed with angina following hospital admission via A&E. I'll be on full pay until mid August then half - plus SSP - for six months after that. I first started getting chest discomfort in January 2020 and had two months off work. Because I am asthmatic too I then continued to stay off during lockdown until May. I was bullied online by my colleagues because of this and chose to ignore the returning symptoms when I went back to work. Now I am off again I feel that my job in a toxic environment is untenable and has indeed contributed to my current health problems - which include a stent fitting.

I turn fifty five soon and want to start pulling back from the nine to five. I have been in touch with the local H & S at work exec as well as my union. The HASAW have advised riding things out on sick notes until I get terminated due to medical reasons - with a weeks pay for each year to follow, whilst my union believe this would be subject to my employment t&c's.

I work in a clerical role for the NHS. Any advice concerning my rights and what I could eventually claim would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Mark1967 welcome to this great group.
    I'm sorry to hear all about your work and the impact it has on your health.
    There are a few people i know that will advise you on this, they are very knowledgeable on this kind of thing.
    I have no doubt you will be greeted by others when they wake up ha ha.
    A few of us pop in and out of the site during the day.

When your ready have a good look around the site.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

The advice about holding out on sick is prob best option and check out company policy on medical dismissal as some companies pay the severance payment but it isn't a legal requirement 

I would suggest getting a referral to oh who can recommend any reasonable adjustments that could enable you to stay in work eg reduced hours or duties 

Other options could be taking your pension early  but this could affect any future benefits you maybe entitled to 

Also Ill health retirement could be option check you pension provider for both these options 

Stick it out at bring sick till they force your hand you may as well benefit from the sick pay which is more than you will likely get for any other option 

You may be eligible for some benefits if you finish work but I'm not the benefit expert and by sounds of it that will be further down the line 

Happy.to help with any other questions.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mark1967 welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to read about your illness and struggle with work and colleagues. Definitely keep the sick notes going in. I've put a link below that you may find useful.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/stopping-work-ill-health-retirement/
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Good morning @Mark1967 and welcome to the community :)

I'm sorry to hear about what's been happening with your work. Our members have shared some excellent advice and information with you, so do please take a look at the threads and categories they mention. 

Scope has lots of advice for getting support with problems at work which I hope is helpful for you.

If you'd like to talk things through with someone over the phone then there's also the Scope Helpline, which you can call on 0808 800 3333. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles, and it's open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 6pm.

If you don't mind me asking, do you feel like you're getting enough support for your mental health at the moment? Something like this can have a big impact, so it might be helpful to speak to someone like your GP about what support might be available.

If there's anything which isn't clear here, please do let me know. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.