Do you feel particularly impacted by the cost of living crisis? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you feel particularly impacted by the cost of living crisis?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
With prices in supermarkets rising and energy bills soaring, we're all feeling the hit of the cost of living crisis. 

However, some people are likely to be more badly affected than others. This includes disabled people like Robert, who can't afford to charge his mobility scooter (BBC).
Robert Hand, from Nottingham, has not worked since an accident eight years ago left him with a spinal injury.

He said his mobility scooter was one of his few ways of getting out but, with energy bills increasing, he cannot afford to use it.

"To get the battery [of the scooter] to full charge, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour," said Mr Hand, who previously worked as an engineer.

"Obviously I'd like to go out. I've got options of online shopping, if I need food. But it's soul destroying [not being able to go out].

"It does worry me because if it keeps going up the way it's going up, it's going to be beyond anything I can pay."

Mr Hand added he was "scraping by" on disability benefits.

"I like to keep myself warm. It's not nice being cold, especially when I'm not 100% well," he said.

I know there have been a number of different discussions about the cost of living crisis here on the community, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone's had a similar experience to this, or has felt particularly adversely affected by the cost of living crisis.

Do you feel especially negatively impacted by the cost of living crisis due to being disabled, or having a disabled loved one?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I think that most people are being affected by the cost of living "crisis" but being a certain age I well remember inflation at 25%, the three day week and power cuts, compared to that this so far is a walk in the park.

I also think we need some context here, benefits have increased this week by 3.1% not as much as inflation but still the best increase % wise for eleven years, we have also seeing the £150 CT rebate and the £200 utility loan, also Warm home discount being extended next year to include more households.

It is forecast that by September inflation may well be 8% meaning an 8% increase in benefits from next April.

So all considered its not all doom and gloom.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Yes. This is near and dear to my heart. Instead of going on holiday this year I am now looking at all my free alternative options. It seems there is a lot of them to try out. In lieu of any pricey days out we are going on nature walks in a nearby park to save money. Rather than grabbing several items off the bottom shelves at the supermarket I am certainly going to buy my food elsewhere. Today I only purchased some tasty fruit and cheese at a farm shop that is located in a garden centre. I turn off the heating and borrow many items routinely to keep my weekly spending costs down as much as possible. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like you're doing a good job of looking at ways of saving money @thara9643 :) 

Do you find the farm shop is cheaper than the supermarket?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.