Joint Claim LCWRA and care element. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint Claim LCWRA and care element.

Options
callum55
callum55 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, 

I was hoping someone could help I was wondering if care element is paid on top of LCWRA for joint claims Ive been placed in LCWRA group and my partner has been receiving Care Element on the joint claim but I'm reading this will stop and I will just recieve £343 - only gaining £180 a month as this is still not enough to live with a disability or is is £343 + £163 as we are a couple.

My partner works so we don't qualify for carers allowance so care element is a big help. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's not correct. What it means is that the same person can't receive both LCWRA and Carers Allowance. As you each receive those element then they will continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • callum55
    Options
    That's not correct. What it means is that the same person can't receive both LCWRA and Carers Allowance. As you each receive those element then they will continue.
    So even in a joint claim each person has different amounts entitlements / elements it can't take away from each others? 

Care element is not cares allowance though as my partner doesnt qualify for Cares Allowance because she's works. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    callum55 said:
    So even in a joint claim each person has different amounts entitlements / elements it can't take away from each other’s.
    No, not for all elements. This only applies to LCWRA and carers element.
    Your UC will include both elements.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • callum55
    Options
    callum55 said:
    So even in a joint claim each person has different amounts entitlements / elements it can't take away from each other’s.
    No, not for all elements. This only applies to LCWRA and carers element.
    Your UC will include both elements.
    So I assume if I was alone I could have got care element for myself but tha would have been removed and replaced with LCWRA
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That would be correct if you were claiming it for looking after someone else.
    If your partner claims carers element for looking after you then even if you were claiming UC as a single person, you can’t claim carers element for looking after yourself. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.