This whole pip process is incredibly stressful and a borderline joke — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

This whole pip process is incredibly stressful and a borderline joke

Alphonso96
Alphonso96 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
After applying for the benefit last year in November I finally had my telephone assessment last week and today I got the requested report that they sent over to the DWP. the assessment itself took nearly 2 hours and I was asked an array of questions about my claim. I suffer from severe eczema and have mild depression along with some other stuff that I had had to deal with all my life and at this current point, I visit the hospital every week for medication and treatments after things got soo bad last year I had to be admitted to hospital for 2 weeks. I've now read the report and they basically have come back as I don't need financial help as they have scored me 0 points. This whole process has made me feel like they really don't care about my suffering even to the point where I became close to losing my job because of my time off. This is the second time I have tried to claim this benefit as I know it's something that I'm entitled to due to my daily struggles but at this point, it feels like I'm at a dead-end and everything I told them they don't see as an issue.

I haven't received the decision yet but I know I will most likely have to fight it again with the odds, not in my favour is there any assistance/ guidance someone can offer me to aid me with this process. Sorry for ranting but it's like they get you to recant your life struggles and just laugh as they deny something that could really help your life just to live like normal people.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,323 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about needing financial support or about not being able to work. It's also not about a diagnosis. What matters is how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. If you don't meet the descriptors, you won't score the points needed for an award and i'm not saying you're not entitled because i don't know exactly how your conditions affect you.
    The report is just a recommendation, though they do mostly go with it, it has been known for them to go against it.
    You mention this isn't the first time you've applied. Did you challenge the decision on your previous claim? If not, was there any reason why? To constantly reapply using the same evidence is likely to see constant refusals.
    Once the decision's been made before requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) i'd advise you to get some expert advice to check you can score enough points needed for an award. Start here for this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alphonso96
    Thanks for the reply, I understand what Pip is for and during my application and assessment, I explained in detail how I struggle with the activities that I'm hindered from doing because of my condition and supplied evidence to support this.

I challenged it the last time and wasn't successful however since my last application a few years ago my condition has got to a point where I've been admitted to hospital and signed off of work for 7 months. I know I score points due to what I'm able to not do but in the report, she basically gave reasons why she thought it's something I can do.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alphonso96 thanks for posting on the community today, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I know you're not alone in this, and I hope the decision itself is more positive. If it's the same as the report, then it is worth challenging the decision if you feel able.

I would definitely echo Poppy's recommendation of searching on AdviceLocal for some expert advice.

If you'd like all the information on challenging a PIP decision, Turn2Us explains your next steps nice and clearly.

Let me know if I can help any further or if anything doesn't make sense. Whatever the final decision on your application, we'll be here to support you as best we can.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2022
    Did you take it all the way to Tribunal last time? As advised PIP isn’t about being unable to work. 
    I still think you need to expert advice to check you qualify. You can have a disability but not qualify because if you don’t meet the descriptors, you won’t score the points needed for an award. I’m not suggesting you don’t qualify but you do need some expert advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alphonso96
    Yes I did, I was awarded 4 points but still not enough to qualify and since then my condition has only gotten worse. Like I said I am aware it's not about being able to work and prior to pip I was always entitled to DLA because of how bad it is and that was since I was a child with not much changing apart from my age. I haven't got a decision letter yet only the report and I have supplied loads of medical documentation but with the way they disregarded my ability to carry out certain activities on the list, I can't quite help but think that I will have to take it all the way to the end again.
  • poppy123456
    DLA and PIP are different benefits, with totally different criteria. Please use the link i provided above to get some expert advice.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi Mike good to see you posting, have a great Easter.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Yes I did, I was awarded 4 points but still not enough to qualify and since then my condition has only gotten worse. Like I said I am aware it's not about being able to work and prior to pip I was always entitled to DLA because of how bad it is and that was since I was a child with not much changing apart from my age. I haven't got a decision letter yet only the report and I have supplied loads of medical documentation but with the way they disregarded my ability to carry out certain activities on the list, I can't quite help but think that I will have to take it all the way to the end again.
    I too used to get DLA, High Mobility and High Care for many years, yet when I was moved over to PIP the decision was that I scored 0 points across the board.
    Finding any sort of advice or help to appeal was impossible, I had no alternative but go it alone and decided to fight them and their decision on my own.
    For the MR I looked at each element where I believed I should have scored and detailed why it applied to me, and how difficult it was to carry out that activity. In addition I went through my medical file and found the evidence to back my claim.
    For example I have major back/hip problems in addition to being out of breath with any walking. Breathing was because of heart/lung conditions that were fully documented as well as two reports from the hospital when I was tested on their walking machine. I fell off the machine after walking 10 metres and could not restart the tests.
    The result just for that element (mobility) was that I was given 12 points for not being able to move 20 metres - Enhanced Mobility - the same as I had for DLA
    Doing that with the care element I ended up with 17 points which gave me Enhanced Care. 
    I then appealed that decision as they only offered the award for 3 years I asked them as to what evidence they had used to come up with that award. It was then uplifted from 3 years to 10 years.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Racyguy, well done for persevering.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.