Hi, my name is EW1! We're struggling to recruit PAs for our children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is EW1! We're struggling to recruit PAs for our children

Options
EW1
EW1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a parent/carer to 2 gorgeous children with autism; learning disabilities; anxiety; and ADHD, and a very bouncy smaller one! 

This is my first time here, and I’m looking for help!

Both my children are in receipt of direct payments for PAs. We used to have 3 excellent PAs who’d been with us for years, but they’ve all changed careers/moved away etc in the past 6-12 months! 

We’re really struggling to recruit, and wondered if anyone knew of anyone, or had any ideas? Social Care have mentioned community support, but when we’ve used them before they sent someone different out each time which does not work at all with our 2! 

We’re in the Cambridge area. Many thanks! 

EW1
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @EW1 hi and a warm welcome to scope, I'm afraid I have no experience in this area, but I'm sure some of our members who do have will be a long later or tomorrow so keep checking back.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @ew1 :) It's great to have you with us! 

Thanks for posting about your situation. I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling to recruit/retain PAs. This is something we've seen crop up on the community a few times, so you're not the only one in this position. 

Do you mind me asking what methods you've used so far to advertise for the roles? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @EW1 :). A warm welcome to you on the community! Thank you for reaching out and sharing your story with us. I am sorry to hear you are struggling to find PA’s for your children with Autism.

I don’t have any professional knowledge or experience in this area. You may like to have a look at these links on Scope:
    https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/finding-a-carer-for-your-child/

https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism

I hope someone on Scope is able to help you. Take care 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    @EW1 This is becoming an increasingly difficult issue & I am unsure why?  I really thought that we would see an upturn in people working in social care after the pandemic, but I was wrong.

I wish you well in your endeavours.
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Footloose
    Footloose Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Options
    Is this thread the best one to raise the subject of the difference between PA's and Care Agency staff? As I see it, a PA is an appropriately qualified/trained individual employed directly, rather than via an Agency. The problem or issue many people encounter is that whilst it's pretty easy to track down Agencies, there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm on the part of Social Services/Councils to provide a formalised list of appropriately trained/qualified PAs. Is this because the Agencies don't want their potential customers finding out who these PAs are, or for some other reason?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi. I'm sorry to see that you're struggling. Maybe it'd be worth speaking to your local council about the Direct Payments and mention you are trying your hardest to recruit and see what help/support they can offer you.

I wish you luck.
  • kewilife
    kewilife Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi @EW1 I’m finding it extremely hard to find a PA too. Since my daughter’s last PA became pregnant and has now became a mother yourself she, quite rightly, stopped working with us. 

I viewed this thread hoping that someone had the magic answer but no! 

If you do find a solution @EW1 please share it here.

thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a real challenge @kewilife. Do you mind me asking what the main challenges you've faced in finding a new PA are? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.