If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Help needed for my mum. She has inherited 17000 pound

Options
becki1978
becki1978 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good evening I'm wondering if anyone can help me. 
My mum is in receipt of PIP and ESA as well as housing benefit and council tax benefit. 
She has inherited 17000 pound from a relation and now we don't know what to do. 

So far she has paid off debts amounting to almost 5000 pound so now has around 13000 pound left. 

I've googled and all the answers are so confusing. 

What should we do now so that my mum doesn't get into trouble. 
And how will her benefits be affected? 

Will she get into trouble for clearing her debts? 

Any help would be great

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @becki1978 good evening and welcome to scope, firstly her PIP will not be affected by her capital, secondly we will need to know if her ESA is income based/cont.based or both, here CTR and HB will be affected and she needs to notify the council immediately.

2024 Election won

• becki1978
    Options
    Her esa income based. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    As advised by woodbine, PIP is not affected.

If any of the ESA is contribution based that part is unaffected.

For means tested benefits she will be assumed to receive an income of £1/week for every £250, or part thereof, over £6,000.

For any period during which she was in possession of more than £16,000 she will not have been entitled to income based ESA, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. Given that her capital is now below that level the benefit agencies will hopefully look at entitlement during the closed period when capital was exceeded and allow the benefits to continue. She will undoubtedly have to provide full details of when the money was received and when and how it was spent.

Payment of Debt will not necessarily be accepted as reasonable but can only be treated as deprivation of capital if a motivating factor was maintaining benefit entitlement. Given the circumstances Were the DWP to reach that decision you could certainly challenge it.

She needs to inform ESA and the local authority as soon as possible. Payment of benefits will likely be suspended while her circumstances are reviewed.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • becki1978
    Options
    Thank you for your help we have started the ball rolling with this. Much appreciated 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to hear our members have been able to help @becki1978 :)

Enjoy the long Easter weekend and let us know how things go for you.

If any other questions come up in the meantime, please do ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.