Hi, my name is TerryG! I'd like to ask about LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is TerryG! I'd like to ask about LCWRA

Options
TerryG
TerryG Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi All,

I would like to ask about LCWRA,I was awarded this in 2018,i was assessed by a Physiotherapist,the  review was done in October 2019,by a SRN,I had over 660 pages from medical professionals,but this person's "opinion" carried more weight than medical professionals in muskeloskeletal medicine,senior GP who has seen my deteriaton over 9yrs,it went to the tribunal,the judge said that ALL my evidence was very consistent from my GP letters,to my own diary pages,and that I should not be seen again for two years,which will be August this year,I have Osteoarthritis in multiple joints,all verified by xray,both feet,both ankles,both achillies,both knees,right hip,lower back and hands,I am in daily pain,I have seriously fragmented sleep,as I wake when I turn in bed,my walking without pain is very limited on good days,bad days I am totally immobile,which can last for weeks,I had a 12 week attack in left knee.
Having arthritis,I have learned that you have to use your energy correctly,is having a shower,a good use of energy,for which I have a wetroom,on good days,it can still be not a good use of energy.
What I would like to know is,has anyone won an appeal,then had to go through the tribunal appeal again and again,PIP,which I know have different descriptors to qualify,have awarded me an "ongoing" award,which means 10 years,I am awaiting blocking injections in my back,I am on CPAP,that shows evidence of fragmented sleep,yet I bet a pound to a penny I don't get the award.I am almost beat with this arthritis,going through tribunal after tribunal  I don't think I'll have the energy for,as much as I appreciate the benefits system now,having these peoples opinions(capita) on medical problems they are not qualified enough to give is surely wrong,its like putting a greasy spoon cafe chef in to a 2 star Michelin restaurant,he can have an opinion because he knows about food,but he can't cook to Michelin star.Or asking a car mechanic,to work on a Grand prix car,they know the basics,but that's it.
Capita,are the DWPs Traffic wardens,they give you a ticket,meaning a fail on your assessment,then you go to Court with evidence to appeal,some won't appeal,some have no energy to appeal and lose out.
The system works if you are seen by someone from the specific problem you have,they can tell by the answers you give of you are lying,in 2018,I was seen by a physio,he passed me,the SRN didn't even with the abundance of evidence,there report was also nothing like what I put in the form or face to face.

Apologies,I waffled on a bit.If you have had repeated assessments go to  tribunal I would appreciate the feedback.

TerryG

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello @TerryG thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community today.

Can I ask what is it you would like to know about LCWRA, and what you mean by 'SRN', as I just want to make sure I understand fully.

Thanks for explaining what's happened over the last few years, it sounds as though you've had a difficult time with assessments, is that right?

And could you tell me what benefits you are currently receiving? That will be really helpful in finding you the right support and advice.

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything's not clear :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,767 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    LCWRA is an ongoing award until another decision says otherwise. Although the Tribunal said 2 years there’s huge backlogs of people still waiting for their first work capability assessment so you may not be contacted in August.
    Now comes to the amount of evidence you sent for your last work capability assessment… 660 pages is quite ridiculous and far too much evidence. I can’t imagine sitting down and reading all of that. 
    My advice and speaking from plenty of experience is less is very much more. 
    For my last work capability assessment I sent my repeat prescription list and a letter from my OT with aids/adaptions that were done in my home by the OT. 
    The rest of my evidence consisted of anecdotal, 3 real world examples of what happened the last time I attempted the descriptor that applied to me. This got me a paper based assessment and I stayed in the Support Group… LCWRA. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TerryG
    TerryG Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    RE Poppy,yes,the amount I sent in was alot,I did a diary on the Universal Credit online service,that correlated with all my hospital visits,attacks,all that stuff,the SRN (State Registered Nurse) who assessed me made so many mistakes in her report it was untrue,I checked her online to see if she had any further medical qualifications,she had none,it was her 'opinion' that I should not be in the LCWRA group,yet an expert in muskeloskeletal medicine,my GP,numerous xrays that confirmed Osteoarthritis in 11 joints,my Occupational therapist,CPAP results showing my sleep severely fragmented,they were all singing from the same Hymn sheet,yet her 40 minute look at me,carried more sway than the people mentioned,that's why I had so much evidence Poppy,the judge said that I my evidence showed consistency over a 4yr period,and that I should not been seen for at least another two years,I still write stuff in there,but this time I have condensed it to at max two pages per month.The person that saw me was pretty disgraceful to be honest.

I am now awaiting blocking injections on my facet joints,to find out where the hip,lower back,groin pain is coming from.Im a severe Gout sufferer,I'd rather say,OK,I would happily have 3 bouts a year,instead of being raspberry rippled with daily pain,mental health takes a nose dive,I once said to my OT,I cant commit suicide,she was puzzled,and asked why not,I told her I'm not fit enough,which we laughed at.

I have read a lot today about the face to face being done over the phone or paper based,even though apparently PIP and LCWRA are supposed to be separate,the assessor in her report mentioned my PIP report.

On Jan 2019 I was awarded PIP, in June 2019,my OT recommended,a mobility scooter,Sheltered Housing,a walk in shower wet room,in Oct2019,that assessor basically called everybody's integrity into question,all they are,are people who have been given a title,Disability expert,its ridiculous,they have sold there souls for an extra £5k a year,and are now number crunchers for the DWP.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    May I speak as someone who has been on both sides of the fence so to speak; I'm a long retired physio who also now has generalised osteoarthrosis due to my genetic disorder.
    On the one hand it appears a physio was helpful in initially assessing you, yet a subsequent SRN was not. May I also add that you can't have osteoarthrosis in your Achilles tendons, as this only affects your joints.
    Now which is right? You say, 'having these peoples opinions(capita) on medical problems they are not qualified enough to give is surely wrong.' Well the HCPs may be SRNs, physios, etc., but they're certainly not Drs. Do they have skills that help them interpret claims (probably, having seen/treated many patients with 'arthritis' etc)?
    Appreciating the difficulties you, & others have faced, assessors are not however given a title, they are nurses, midwives, physios, etc. May I ask, for clarity, where you feel they're getting an extra £5k a year?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,767 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have no idea how the assessor for your WCA mentioned your PIP in their report because they don't have access to your PIP claim...unless of course you mentioned this yourself. I stand by what i said, 660 pages of evidence is ridiculous and isn't really needed.
    TerryG said:
    they have sold there souls for an extra £5k a year,and are now number crunchers for the DWP.

Do you have a source for that please?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.