I have CP. I'd like assistance on finding work, and help with paperwork — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have CP. I'd like assistance on finding work, and help with paperwork

Options
Katiekoo
Katiekoo Community member, Scope Member Posts: 26 Connected
edited April 2022 in Cerebral palsy
I wonder if you can help, I was born 12 weeks premature. I have cerebral Palsy which affects all four of my limbs and my trunk control. The type of Cerebral palsy I have is called Mixed Dystonic and Spastic type. I am cognitively age appropriate. I live on my own with a live-in carer however, this has not worked out the way I hoped as the carer is only here to do basic tasks for me as I have been told by Social services this does not include supporting me in finding work or helping me with my paperwork, I know what to write I need support physically writing the information this is where I get my independence from but the carers are unable to assist me with such tasks I find that this really impacts on my well-being.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Katiekoo and thanks for your post today :)

I was also born prematurely and have CP myself, though not quite the same type! At the moment I'm not living independently so don't currently have carers from social services to help me out day to day. 

What I remember from my previous experience of having carers, was that I was able to specify the kinds of tasks I needed support with in agreement with my care team.

Have you spoken to social services or your carer about reviewing your care, or the impact on your well-being happening at the moment?

You mention wanting support in finding work and help with paperwork, can you explain if that's because of fatigue? I often have issues with fatigue in my wrists, which makes writing painful.

I wonder if you have regular access to a computer or laptop at all? I know that Microsoft office has a function which allows you to speak to the screen and it types it out for you. I know not everyone can access this easily though.

I'd encourage you to contact Scope's Support to Work Programme if you are eligible, as they can help support you, both in looking for work, and getting the right support in work too.

If there's anything I've missed please let me know, and I'll do what I can to help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Katiekoo
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Yeah, I have already spoken to my Social worker and she doesn’t want to know. Yes, that’s the problem with typing even when I use programs and speech software doesn’t work for me. I have already done that program. @Alex_Scope
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Okay @Katiekoo thanks for explaining that for me, it's frustrating to hear that your social worker doesn't want to know.

Is there anyone in your local authority you could contact to raise your concerns, or anyone else in the carer's organisation perhaps, like senior management? Could you have the conversation with a friend or loved one there with you, to help provide extra support in trying to resolve this?

I'd still like to recommend Scope's employment support services, as we offer online and offline employment support, if that would be helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Katiekoo
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are more than welcome @Katiekoo. Support is the very least you deserve. How are things for you now? I hope things are well but if you need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Katiekoo
    Options
    I’m alright thanks. @L_Volunteer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.