Hi, my name is Smile107! I'm looking at ways to be able to work online running my own business — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Smile107! I'm looking at ways to be able to work online running my own business

Smile107
Smile107 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2022 in Work and employment
I have cauda equina syndrome which causes mobility issues and chronic pain and fatigue which meant I had to give up working in an office because the hours were too long. I'm now looking at ways to be able to work online running my own business which hopefully I can then share ideas to help other people who are struggling to work in traditional 9 to 5 jobs with a disability/ chronic illness. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @Smile107 welcome to this great group.
    I am sure you will be greeted by some of the others when they wake up.
    Some of us pop in and out of the site during the day.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @Smile107

Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us.

Thanks for telling us a little bit about yourself. It sounds difficult that you have had to give up working in an office since being diagnosed with cauda equina syndrome due to the hours being too long.

How are you currently finding the idea of working online running your own business? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us.

You sound lovely. We really appreciate that you want to use your own ideas to support others. It is people like you who make our community the supportive and friendly space it is.

If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to let us know  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning @Smile107 and thanks for joining the community, I hope you'll find it a welcoming and supportive place :)

It's so positive to hear that you'd like to help other people with disability or chronic illness, sharing thoughts and ideas is one of the best things about a community like this. 

It sounds very exciting that you're looking to run your own business! I know that we are currently working on providing more advice for disabled people who want to be self employed, but in case it's helpful you might like to have a look at Scope's employment services as well.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, and enjoy your time on the forum.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @smile107 :) It's great that you're looking to set up your own business. Do you have any tips to share with us that you've come across so far? 

I was wondering whether you might find it useful to read the pages on self-employment on our website, too. These include pros and cons of self-employment, and starting a business
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • ooo1
    ooo1 Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    hi smile 107, thank you for your message,, it has given me some hope,,
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you thinking of setting up your own business too @ooo1
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.