Universal Credit and Fostering — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Fostering

Options
7501x
7501x Community member Posts: 49 Connected
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all

i live on my own with my 5 year old son and I claim universal credit in privately rented accommodation. I recently had to give up my employment due to my disability and I’m awaiting a work capability assessment. I’m in receipt of PIP already. 

I know that I can have essentially anyone move in with me unless it’s a partner and their income won’t affect my universal credit as I claim PIP. However, if I had a partner move in and I added them to my claim, but their income is fostering (which I know UC don’t regard as an income) would it be as straight forward as adding my partner to my UC claim, the amounts would go up slightly as it was a joint claim, however the fostering allowance/income would just be totally disregarded?

also, where would I stand with being allowed a partner to move in? Because I know if you claim PIP anyone but a partner can move in with you, but if it’s my partner moving in is that not allowed? Or is that simply from an income perspective that those rules are set out, in which case it would be find to have a partner move in as the UC wouldn’t consider their fostering money as income?

sorry for this being such a long one and I hope it makes sense!

thank you in advance for your help.

From a very confused Charlotte!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Income from fostering allowance is ignored when calculating UC entitlement. See link. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Foster-carers-and-benefits/Can-I-claim-Universal-Credit
    7501x said:

also, where would I stand with being allowed a partner to move in? Because I know if you claim PIP anyone but a partner can move in with you, but if it’s my partner moving in is that not allowed?

I'm not sure where you heard that from but you're not correct. Claiming PIP has nothing to do with a partner moving in so it won't be affected. It's not means tested.

If you're partner moved in you will need to report a change of circumstances. You'll then be sent a linking code that your partner will needs to use when they start their UC claim, both claims will then be linked together. Your UC entitlement will then be based on both of your circumstances.

If your PIP includes the daily living award and your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they should report this and then your UC will include the Carers Element.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 7501x
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I actually obtained the information from the government guidance for decision makers which anyone can access online. It stated that if you received PIP anyone living with you and earning an income will not affect your claim for UC. The only exception being if it was a partner :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    7501x said:
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I actually obtained the information from the government guidance for decision makers which anyone can access online. It stated that if you received PIP anyone living with you and earning an income will not affect your claim for UC. The only exception being if it was a partner :)

That will be regarding non dependent deductions for your housing element, providing your PIP includes the daily living part. You're correct, it doesn't apply when living with a partner.
    If you're partner works and receives earnings then this will affect your UC. You have the work allowance of £344 per month, any earnings over this will see a 55% deduction in your UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 7501x
    Options
    Yes that’s it! I couldn’t remember what it was called but it’s a non dependent. Thanks Poppy :) so if my partner was a foster carer, any wages from that are disregarded I believe? And they wouldn’t be asked to look for work as they are classed as self employed I believe? So we would essentially make a joint UC claim which would increase the amount in eligible to receive, and also the fostering income would be disregarded?

Thanks again :)

Charlotte
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    7501x said:..they are classed as self employed I believe? 
    That is not correct.
    There's information here
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Foster-carers-and-benefits/Can-I-claim-Universal-Credit (as already posted by poppy), and
    https://www.thefosteringnetwork.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-01/FLW briefing paper - Universal Credit and rule for foster carers FINAL.pdf
    7501x said: So we would essentially make a joint UC claim 
    As explained by poppy, you report the change, you get a linking code, he claims and his claim is linked to your.
    They remain separate claims but the payment is assessed on your joint circumstances as a couple and only one of you gets paid.
    He will need to keep UC informed about any children he is fostering. 
    7501x said:.. and also the fostering income would be disregarded?
    As already advised, yes. He should still tell them about the payments he receives but they should be disregarded.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Fostering allowance is not classed as earnings and they're not self employed. It's other income but it's disregarded, please see the link i posted above.
    If they care for you for at least 35 hours per week and your PIP includes the dailing living part then they will be entitled to the carers element. Claiming this would mean they wouldn't need to look for work.
    Your standard allowance would be £525.72 if at least one of you is over 25 plus the carers element £168.81.
    Even without the carers element a foster carer will not be expected to look for work, which is explained in the link above.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi @7501x
    You will need to tell the DWP if your partner moves in with you and that they are a  foster carer as this will mean that they have a reduced work commitment (depending on the age of the child). The fact  that they are a foster carer is also relevant to your claim for housing costs. Your partner will have to inform Social Services that they are moving in with you. You will need to make a couple claim for UC and @poppy123456 has explained how to do this. Your partner's income (subject to some exceptions) and savings will be taken into account in calculating your UC, however, allowances paid for fostering are specifically disregarded in calculating your and your partner's income for UC purposes.

As a couple, because your partner is a Foster carer, you will be allowed an extra bedroom for the purposes of calculating the Housing Costs Element in UC.

You will not get paid a Child Element in respect of the foster child. If the foster child is disabled you might get a disabled child element. 

Your PIP, and that of your partner if he is receipt of PIP,  is completely ignored for UC. If you have standard rate daily living PIP and your partner provides not less than 35 hours per week care for you, you would be entitled to a Carer's Element in your UC.  If he also receives PIP daily living and you provide 35 hours a week care for him then you could claim a Carer's Element in respect of the care you provide him. As a carer you do not have a work commitment. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:

As a couple, because your partner is a carer, you will be allowed an extra bedroom for the purposes of calculating the Housing Costs Element in UC.

That's not exactly correct and not everyone is automatically entitled to an extra bedroom because of this. Some people who have a disability can share a bedroom with their partner, with no problems. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Calculating-Your-Bedroom-Entitlement
    An adult couple who are unable to share a room because of a disability or a disabled child who would be expected to share a bedroom but cannot share because of a disability

Sue_Scope said:
    If he also receives PIP daily living and you provide 35 hours a week care for him then you could claim a Carer's Element in respect of the care you provide him. As a carer you do not have a work commitment. 

Unless the OP is receiving the LCWRA element in their UC, if they are then the carers element will not be paid.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:

As a couple, because your partner is a carer, you will be allowed an extra bedroom for the purposes of calculating the Housing Costs Element in UC.

That's not exactly correct and not everyone is automatically entitled to an extra bedroom because of this. Some people who have a disability can share a bedroom with their partner, with no problems. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Calculating-Your-Bedroom-Entitlement
    An adult couple who are unable to share a room because of a disability or a disabled child who would be expected to share a bedroom but cannot share because of a disability
    I think Sue is referring to the extra bedroom allowed because they are a foster carer which they appear to be allowed even when they do not have a foster child with them (presumably to ensure atet a room is available fir a foster child if placed).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks calcotti, that wasn't how i read it and could be quite misleading for other members that read it too.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks @calcotti for clarifying. Yes a Foster carer 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Options
    Reference to "carer" in my post amended to Foster Carer for purposes of clarification. 
    Online Community Adviser

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.