Splitting a joint universal claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Splitting a joint universal claim

Options
kev121
kev121 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, does anyone know what happens if a couple split a joint claim before the 2nd payment is due within assessment period, get 2 payments per month and due the 2nd part of payment so if theirs a split in claim is their an entitlement to 2nd payment . Or Isit new claim and wait for payment in next assessment period , thanks for any help their is zero information online about this enquiry 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @kev121 and thanks for posting your query here on the community, to help our members find it and share their thoughts I've marked it as unanswered, as it's not one I have the knowledge to answer straight away. 

If you have any further questions or need a hand with looking around the forum then please do ask, and I hope you enjoy your afternoon :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kev121 said:
    Hi, does anyone know what happens if a couple split a joint claim before the 2nd payment is due within assessment period, get 2 payments per month and due the 2nd part of payment so if theirs a split in claim is their an entitlement to 2nd payment .
    The second payment is just a deferred part payment of what was due on the date of the first payment calculated on the previous month's circumstances so that second payment should not be affected. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kev121
    kev121 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    calcotti said:
    kev121 said:
    Hi, does anyone know what happens if a couple split a joint claim before the 2nd payment is due within assessment period, get 2 payments per month and due the 2nd part of payment so if theirs a split in claim is their an entitlement to 2nd payment .
    The second payment is just a deferred part payment of what was due on the date of the first payment calculated on the previous month's circumstances so that second payment should not be affected. 
    Hi thanks for the reply , so would they split this between the couple and add the payment to new claims after calculating who was due what and child parts , seems confusing as it looks like new claims will be made after the split in claim with the deferred payment part due to be paid , thanks again for any help 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    kev121 said:.. so would they split this between the couple and add the payment to new claims..
    I don't believe so. As explained in my earlier reply the whole payment was due at the time of the first payment, it was only split into two because you (the claimant) requested it. The second payment will therefore logically be paid into the same account as previous payments without any modification.

Say your UC period runs from 7th to 6th of the month.
    The payment for 7th March to 6th April is due on 13th April.
    If you choose to have it paid in two parts you get paid on 13th April and 27th April.
    The fact that you separate on, say, 20th April makes no difference to the above.

I think that on 13th May each of them will be due a UC payment based on them being a single claimant for the whole of the period from 7th April to 6th May (even though the separation only took place on 20th April).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

I agree,

The change to the UC payment applies at the start of the Assessment Period in which the change of circumstance occurs provided you report it in that Assessment period.  UC is paid in arrears so the fact that you receive 2 payments of UC during an Assessment period is not relevant. I would suggest that thinking of this as “splitting” the claim is not quite accurate as whilst neither of you are required to reclaim UC you will have 2 separate single person claims with, if appropriate, elements for housing costs and children and, perhaps other elements as well.  This all presupposes that you both still satisfy the basic eligibility for UC.

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.