PIP when work as a lecturer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP when work as a lecturer

Options
sheri1381
sheri1381 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited April 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm very new to PIP and I have a question which I appreciate if you guide me.
I'm a part time college lecturer at the moment. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Artheritis 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the illness has affected my function and mobility. I have problem sitting, walking, daily routines. Even writing is very painful these days. I'm fed up with pain but I feel committed to my students and it's near exams days so I have to continue but I have to drop my hours from next academic year due to my health problems.
I was advised to apply for PIP. I called yesterday and I'm now waiting for the form to arrive.But from what I read since yesterday, it is very unlikely my claim be successful as I work. I prefer to withdraw if there is no chance. Could any body advise please.Thanks a lot.
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is assessed on the difficulties you have carrying out the activities looked at. Lots of people work and claim PIP.
    Make sure you understand the descriptors and point scoring system
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sheri1381 and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out this morning. 

As Calcotti says, lots of people who claim PIP also work, myself included. Do have a look at the descriptors they've shared and make a note against each one of a real life example, a time when you tried to carry out the activity mentioned, and what happened as a result. 

To put it another way, PIP is assessing how your disability or health conditions impact on your ability to carry out the activities listed. 

Citizens Advice has guidance on the process laid out step by step, which I hope is helpful for you.

If you'd prefer you can also give the Scope Helpline a call or email, if you'd like to run through things with one of our advisors.

If you're still unsure of anything then please do ask, and we'll do what we can to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Sheri1381,

I have lumbar & cervical spondylosis which is, as my Dr believes, now causing stenosis (I have an MRI scan on the 25th April to investigate further).  I was awarded PIP Daily Living at the enhanced rate....... and I work, albeit 3 days a week, but I am working.

My approach to completing the PIP form was, for want of an expression, compartmentalised.  I sat down with my laptop and just brain dumped everything I could for each environment (both indoors and outdoors) I use.  For example, I brain dumped how I get on in the bathroom (Activity 4):
    Holding the sink when I clean my teeth (classed as an aid)
    Had a grab bar fitted over the bath for when I have a shower (classed as an aid)
    I no longer have baths because my condition would make it difficult getting in and out (safety)
    I can`t clean myself as thoroughly as I would like because I have to hold the grab bar all the time (safety)

For each activity in the PIP application form, I "allocated" an environment and just dumped everything I could think of for that area.

I submitted 52 pages of answers, evidence and a diary covering a week.  I made sure I used "considerable pain", "breathlessness", "resting", "mobility" and a few other meaningful words to describe my life / the effect my condition has on me throughout my application.

I`m extremely thorough in everything I do, so made sure I got my points across in a very detailed manner.  I gave distances, times taken and the impact on me for mobility for both indoors and outdoors.  Despite being in considerable pain by the time I get to 10m and having to stop and rest for up to 5 minutes at 25m (the distance to my drive gate), the assessor entered in her write up "this suggests that he can walk 200m".  The Decision Maker agreed and I achieved only 4 points for mobility; I`ve now submitted a Mandatory Reconsideration.

What I would suggest is:
    Read as many threads on Scope as you can for PIP.
    Join "Benefits and work" to access their written guides and also read through as many PIP threads on that site as you can.  These 3 actions will give you all the "phrases" and "expressions" needed to cover all the activities in the PIP application.  

Hope this helps,

Andy

• sheri1381
    Options
    Thank you very much all for the great information. I feel a bit nervous as I've heard the assessmentsession is quite intense and I don't want any more stress as it triggers my condition. 
    Any way, I'm so happy that I found here to ask my questions and get great advice
  • sheri1381
    Options
    Thanks a lot Andy
    Such a great help
    I'll do exactly the way. Hopefully it works

Cartini said:
    Hi Sheri1381,

I have lumbar & cervical spondylosis which is, as my Dr believes, now causing stenosis (I have an MRI scan on the 25th April to investigate further).  I was awarded PIP Daily Living at the enhanced rate....... and I work, albeit 3 days a week, but I am working.

My approach to completing the PIP form was, for want of an expression, compartmentalised.  I sat down with my laptop and just brain dumped everything I could for each environment (both indoors and outdoors) I use.  For example, I brain dumped how I get on in the bathroom (Activity 4):
    Holding the sink when I clean my teeth (classed as an aid)
    Had a grab bar fitted over the bath for when I have a shower (classed as an aid)
    I no longer have baths because my condition would make it difficult getting in and out (safety)
    I can`t clean myself as thoroughly as I would like because I have to hold the grab bar all the time (safety)

For each activity in the PIP application form, I "allocated" an environment and just dumped everything I could think of for that area.

I submitted 52 pages of answers, evidence and a diary covering a week.  I made sure I used "considerable pain", "breathlessness", "resting", "mobility" and a few other meaningful words to describe my life / the effect my condition has on me throughout my application.

I`m extremely thorough in everything I do, so made sure I got my points across in a very detailed manner.  I gave distances, times taken and the impact on me for mobility for both indoors and outdoors.  Despite being in considerable pain by the time I get to 10m and having to stop and rest for up to 5 minutes at 25m (the distance to my drive gate), the assessor entered in her write up "this suggests that he can walk 200m".  The Decision Maker agreed and I achieved only 4 points for mobility; I`ve now submitted a Mandatory Reconsideration.

What I would suggest is:
    Read as many threads on Scope as you can for PIP.
    Join "Benefits and work" to access their written guides and also read through as many PIP threads on that site as you can.  These 3 actions will give you all the "phrases" and "expressions" needed to cover all the activities in the PIP application.  

Hope this helps,

Andy

• sheri1381
    Options
    Thanks a lot 
    Very useful information

Alex_Scope said:
    Hello @sheri1381 and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out this morning. 

As Calcotti says, lots of people who claim PIP also work, myself included. Do have a look at the descriptors they've shared and make a note against each one of a real life example, a time when you tried to carry out the activity mentioned, and what happened as a result. 

To put it another way, PIP is assessing how your disability or health conditions impact on your ability to carry out the activities listed. 

Citizens Advice has guidance on the process laid out step by step, which I hope is helpful for you.

If you'd prefer you can also give the Scope Helpline a call or email, if you'd like to run through things with one of our advisors.

If you're still unsure of anything then please do ask, and we'll do what we can to support you :)

Alex

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.