PIP award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP award

Options
AH88
AH88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I applied for PIP on December 7th 2021. I had my assessment via a telephone appointment with Capita on April 3rd, which lasted about 30mins. I called up on Wednesday 13th April to request a copy of the assessment. I woke up today and checked my account to find a nice sun of money in there from PIP! Judging from the amount, I think I have been awarded standard daily living & standard mobility. The whole thing has been much more straight forward than I was lead to believe! For my application, I did not send in any evidence as I did not have any, just my answers as to how I am affected by the relevant descriptors. The lady I spoke to from Capita was very nice, and made me feel very at ease in conversation with her, even when I got a little emotional she was reassuring and understanding. I wasn’t expecting a penny IF I was awarded for at least another couple of months so was pleasantly surprised! I’m still awaiting the award letter and my copy of the assessment. When I see how I was scored, I may submit a MR for enhanced living as that is how I personally worked out my points from the descriptors, but to be honest, I am happy & grateful to have received anything at all and cannot wait to put the extra money to good use aiding my recovery! Just thought I’d let all know that it isn’t all horror stories, my own experience has been straight forward! Thanks! 

Comments

• AH88
    Options
    To clarify - I didn’t send in any evidence but I did give the details of my GP, whom I have regular contact with, and my care co-ordination, as I have been under the care of the community mental health team on the ‘care program approach’ for over a year. My support worker refused to write anything down to send as evidence, and wouldn’t even assist me in filling out the form, and so I just put her contact details down. I see her twice weekly, and she hasn’t mentioned anyone being in touch, so I cannot say as to whether or not they made contact. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AH88 - & welcome to the community. This sounds like good news, so thank you for sharing. All too often people read the 'horror stories' you mention on the internet, tho many are actually awarded PIP like yourself.
    I'm pleased your assessment went well, but it seems this was because you'd done your homework in making sure everything was relevant to the PIP descriptors. You also mention you didn't send in any evidence, which is fine, as it can be unnecessary; your own 'evidence' matters more. Anyway, pleased all went well, & your PIP 'journey' has indeed been relatively short.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news. This just goes to prove that you don't need medical evidence to successfully claim PIP. Your own evidence is all that's needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • audrey78
    audrey78 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    AH88 said:
    Hi, I applied for PIP on December 7th 2021. I had my assessment via a telephone appointment with Capita on April 3rd, which lasted about 30mins. I called up on Wednesday 13th April to request a copy of the assessment. I woke up today and checked my account to find a nice sun of money in there from PIP! Judging from the amount, I think I have been awarded standard daily living & standard mobility. The whole thing has been much more straight forward than I was lead to believe! For my application, I did not send in any evidence as I did not have any, just my answers as to how I am affected by the relevant descriptors. The lady I spoke to from Capita was very nice, and made me feel very at ease in conversation with her, even when I got a little emotional she was reassuring and understanding. I wasn’t expecting a penny IF I was awarded for at least another couple of months so was pleasantly surprised! I’m still awaiting the award letter and my copy of the assessment. When I see how I was scored, I may submit a MR for enhanced living as that is how I personally worked out my points from the descriptors, but to be honest, I am happy & grateful to have received anything at all and cannot wait to put the extra money to good use aiding my recovery! Just thought I’d let all know that it isn’t all horror stories, my own experience has been straight forward! Thanks! 
    Did you have your telephone appointment on a Sunday? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    audrey78 said:
    AH88 said:
    Did you have your telephone appointment on a Sunday? 
    When backlogs are huge they often do assessments on a weekend to try to catch up. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AH88
    Options
    My initial appointment was for a week day in the Easter holidays, but I am a stay at home parent to 5 children, 2 of whom are pre school age,  and called up to request it to be moved to a date when they are back at school. They said they couldn’t rebook it that far in advance and so they offered me a Sunday, which worked for me as my husband is home and could mind the children so I could concentrate on the call. 
  • audrey78
    audrey78 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    AH88 said:
    My initial appointment was for a week day in the Easter holidays, but I am a stay at home parent to 5 children, 2 of whom are pre school age,  and called up to request it to be moved to a date when they are back at school. They said they couldn’t rebook it that far in advance and so they offered me a Sunday, which worked for me as my husband is home and could mind the children so I could concentrate on the call. 
    I had mines on the 5th hopefully I here something soon I requested the report and going by that its standard for both so fingers crossed I'm in Glasgow 
  • AH88
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you! I’m in Warwickshire. 
  • anshusbs
    anshusbs Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    AH88 said:

AH88 said:
    Fingers crossed for you! I’m in Warwickshire.

What date was you paid?
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022
    Options
    anshusbs said:
    What date was you paid?

First comment said they were paid on the day they posted the comment...22nd April. They also haven't been active on here since then.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.