Non Epileptic Seizures and work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non Epileptic Seizures and work

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
edited July 2022 in Work and employment
Hello,

Does anyone else suffer with non-epileptic seizures?

What type of work could someone with this condition do?

Is supermarket working with pallets, heights etc safe? I’m not sure

I need some guidance. 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I was a hr manager in retail for over 30 years and we employed people with epilepsy.  Some had to avoid checkout work bug others didn't depends on your seizure triggers . Some also stacked shelves , worked on counters or in back office 

There are lots opportunities maybe smaller type shop work why not try volunteering in a charity shop to see how it suits you 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who also has epilepsy I would agree with Jane to try work as a volunteer in a charity shop to see how it goes, have you checked that you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to ?
    NES. are still seizures just with a different cause.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bluefox
    Options
    I did work in a supermarket but how do you keep yourself safe?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suppose the answer ro that would be do you get any warning before your NES ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bluefox
    Options
    Sometimes and sometimes not. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Do you have any typical triggers you can avoid 

Working in a smaller retail outlet would be safer as long as it doesn't involve lone working and letting your colleagues know about your condition and any assistance you require 
  • bluefox
    Options
    I’d say severe stress and anxiety tend to build up for me. Lack of sleep. I also get motor tics too. That’s a new symptom I’ve had for the past 6 months. Not sure if it’s related to NEAD or FND. 

So no lone working?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Definitely NO to lone working and any reputable employer should not permit you.tl work on your own with your condition 
  • bluefox
    Options
    So would that mean no working down an aisle on my own on a night shift for example
  • janer1967
    Options
    No it wouldn't lone working means you would be the only person on the premises at any time during the shift 
  • bluefox
    Options
    Ah. So I would be okay to work an aisle on my own as long as other people are in the building. 

What about first aiders
  • janer1967
    Options
    There should be first aiders anyway in a supermarket on the night shift operation 

From experience tho working nights isn't compatible with people who have secures due to the disruption of the sleep pattern 

You should speak to your gp about this 

Also the employer should complete a pre employment medical screening and this may advise no overnight work 

I'm only playing devil's advocate here and telling you potential issues 

My earlier advice still stands you would probably be better off in a smaller retail environment rather than large supermarket but it isn't impossible to work for them 
  • bluefox
    Options
    Does frequency of seizures matter when it comes to shelve stacking and moving heavy pallets and working at heights?
  • janer1967
    Options
    As before it depends on triggers you need to seek advice from your gp about type of work you can do and if you get a job a referral to oh would be beneficial 
  • bluefox
    Options
    woodbine said:
    As someone who also has epilepsy I would agree with Jane to try work as a volunteer in a charity shop to see how it goes, have you checked that you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to ?
    NES. are still seizures just with a different cause.
    I am claiming ESA, UC and PIP. I also claim for depression and anxiety. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.