Private OT on supporting letters for housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private OT on supporting letters for housing

Options
J2351
J2351 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi my name is Jamie I hope whoever comes to read this is doing well :D 

I have been suffering with Tonic Clonic seizures for the last 6 months and on average have 3-4 seizures a week. I currently live in a house share which I find makes my seizures worse due to the anxiety and embarrassment of it all, for example losing control of bladder and bowels (So shameful) I also find it difficult to shower as my bathroom is so cramped and has several dangers such as glass shower door and bath taps etc as I always collapse when I have a seizure with very little or no warning. I also have a fear of cooking due to the anxiety of a doom pending seizure that may or may not happen, and I usually just consume a liquid diet that consists of Huel and kefir drinks.

With all these problems I have would I be a priority on some kind of level for social housing? And does anybody know if a private OT can provide supporting letters for housing? And would a supporting letter from a private OT can the same weight as a county council OT? 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @J2351 and welcome to the community. Thank you for reaching out last night, I've moved your post over into our housing category so that it's easier for our members to share their thoughts.

Just so that I've got a clearer picture, I'll need to ask a few questions if that's okay.

Do you feel like you're getting enough support day to day at the moment?

Have you spoken to your GP about your concerns around the seizures you're having at home? Have you discussed having an Occupational Therapist previously at all?

I know that it's possible to refer yourself for a needs assessment, is that something you've tried before?

Thanks for explaining the anxieties you are having around your seizure, I know it can be difficult to talk about. It can be embarrassing when our bodies do things we don't want them to. Have you talked to anyone about the impact this is having on your mental health? Maybe chatting about it will help work through some of those feelings, and help them to support you too.

If I've missed anything please do say, and I hope you're doing well too :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • J2351
    J2351 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi Alex thank you for commenting :) Unfortunately I receive zero support with my difficulties and have no support network in place. 

My doctor isn’t very helpful in general maybe due to Covid times I’m not 100% sure why, so I haven’t contacted them regarding my difficulties, I only contact them about my medication for my anxiety etc. 

And I have contacted my council and have been put on a huge waiting list to be assessed by OT( still dealing with a backlog as far back as September last year) 

Will a private OT write a letter to my council if they found rehousing was a priority? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.